Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > help with white film possibly infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
FarmBoy530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default help with white film possibly infection?

I brewed an Oatmeal stout about 3 weeks ago. I used rinsed yeast (British Ale) and ferm started in about 5 hours. The beer frem'd out in about 3 days but I left it in the primary for 2 weeks to clear and clean up. The fg was high 1.023. I racked to the 2nd and its been there for a week. today I noticed a dry milky color film over the surface and it seems to be heading up the sides of the carboy (just under an inch tall, crawling up from the beer surface). I can tell the film is dry because there are a few bubbles dried in it so its held their shape. I have been brewing for years and have become very sanitary, doesn't mean it cant happen I suppose, I was just surprised. anyone dealt with this before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does it look like this? If so, lactobacillus...

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds gross! I would always just assume it IS going to happen and wage the war in advance. What you are describing sounds like some sort of rhizomorphic fungi

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes that looks like it. Mine is younger so its not that advanced and the bubbles are smaller. Before I go research the hell out of it is there anything you can tell me about it, or where it may have come from?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know much about it. It's a bacteria that is desired for some sour styles. You will find alot of information about it around here.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Zanzibeer
Recipes 

If you wanted a clean stout your not getting it. I'd say take advantage of this opportunity and put in some oak chips and a half pound of table sugar, pour right in you don't have to worry about infection anymore. Leave it a year and you will have something delicious on your hands
Don't rinse your yeast or use secondary ferms unless you have to. If you do rinse grow up a starter to outcompete bad bugs.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, I suppose the infection could have come from the sourdough starter I have been using in the same kitchen. Not that I got sourdough in the beer but maybe on dust and then in the beer when I took a sample. I have been brewing for years and I enjoy using a 2ndary. As for re pitching yeast I follow Jamil and Chris Whites method in they're book "Yeast". Also reiterated on an issue of brewstrong. So here is where Im at. I caught this infection young and the beer still tastes fine. Do I sulfide and force carb, or do I go with it and see how it goes? If so why ad the table sugar? The SG is 1.023. And if I try your route zanzibeer then why keep around a year? Is this specific to how long it takes this bacteria to work? Or just your aging recommendations? anything I suppose to not through out 5 gal of hard work not to mention cost.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 22

To me that looks exacly like mother of vinegar, probably introduced through a fruitfly. It happened to me once, and as soon as I saw it, I racked into a keg, carbed and drank the beer for about 3 days, afterwhich point it became vinegar and had to be dumped.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The flavor of whatever it is hasn't hit yet so I'll wait and see. Pretty sure no fruitflys made it through my airlocks, we don't have them this time of year anyway. I'm sure however its not the only way for it to get in..

Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1234 Times on 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBoy530 View Post
Yes that looks like it. Mine is younger so its not that advanced and the bubbles are smaller. Before I go research the hell out of it is there anything you can tell me about it, or where it may have come from?
Malted barley is often a carrier of lactobacillus, which is why one shouldn't mill grain in the general proximity of an active brewing rig...

Cheers!

Quick Reply