Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help! What type of brewing system should I build?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
michiganjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! What type of brewing system should I build?

I want to step up to all grain brewing and I would like some advice as to what type of system I should build. I am not a rocket scientist but I will have help from a few engineer friends. Should I build a RIMS? 1,2, or 3 tier?

I am sure I want to retrofit kegs and brew 10 gallon batches. Money is always a factor but I to build something that I will be proud to own and will make good beer. I am also fairly certain I want to avoid using wood in my build.

Thoughts??? I appreciate them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

not sure about your non wood comment but... we need lots more information on what you want to answer the question. Some people will say xxxxxx is the best but it is stupid to think one is better than another for everyone. its all a preference, roll through the DIY section and/ or the electric section, you will find lots of ideas and people will tell you what they like and dont like about their own setups!

FirstStateBrewer Likes This 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2122 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

There are benefits to any system and it's mostly just a personal choice.

My plan is to build either a HERMS or RIMS electric system. I started out planning a RIMS system because it is so similar to the heat devices we use on plastic injection molds, but I'm leaning more towards a HERMS system with copper coil in the HLT now.

People also use gas controls instead of electric, but since I brew mostly in my garage I decided to go with that. If I really needed to brew away from the garage I have enough stuff to do that too.

I can't see why you would need to use wood for anything if you don't want to. There are lots of builds in the DIY area and online if you want to check out lots of pictures and get an idea of how it all works.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have an electric HERMS similar to theelectricbrewery.com and I love it. But I agree with the other posters that it well be personal preference.

What are your goals? Do you want simple/complex, portable/fixed, cheap/expensive, moderate control/great control, manual/automated?

Primary: Robust Porter
Next Up: Flander's Red

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It also depends on how much you are able to spend.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
michiganjoe
Recipes 

I have seen people make the frames out of wood. Maybe I should just tbe asking what type of system you all are using and what do you like or dislike about your current setup.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganjoe View Post
I have seen people make the frames out of wood. Maybe I should just tbe asking what type of system you all are using and what do you like or dislike about your current setup.
Thats a better question. I am electric RIMS, 2 tier, with keggles and a cooler mash tun, immersion chiller. If i was to change one thing it would be the chiller (next on the project list) to a counterflow chiller. I like the set it and forget it for temperatures, that is very nice! the only hassle so far is adjusting valves for pump flow to keep the grant from running dry/ overflowing. You can see my build thread linked below.

Jeremy @ Lucky Chicken Brewery

Electric Build

Kegerator build

Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

My setup:

Rectangular cooler mash tun with stainless braid
5 gallon extract kettle
10 gallon megapot

I love batch sparging. Super cheap and super easy.

Quick Reply