Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help! Oxygen!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
Beerhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! Oxygen!

So today i decided to rack my bavarian hefe to the keg as it was about that time. I planned on naturally carbing and added my corn sugar as needed

However todays process went terribly, the plastic hose clamp i used did almost nothing to stop air flowing into my transferring beer and i had to start my siphon several times before I could finish the transfer.

Since i am very worried now about oxygenated beer I was wondering if it might be able to try and purge the oxygen out of the beer through possibly a force carb method or some other use of my CO2 tank. I loved the taste of the beer as it came out of secondary and it would be a shame to see this beer go bad.

While im on the subject, does anyone have any other tips on how to better connect your racking cane and siphon tube? Because although using the clamp normally works i never want to have to go through this again.

Cheers

"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd say relax. It might slightly effect the long term stability of the beer a tiny bit, but I really doubt there was enough air in there to produce oxidation.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
amercuric
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

RHAHB. It's gonna be a good one. Cheers.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Relax...It takes a lot of O2 to really damage your beer, I remember a podcast that said that it would really take like pumping an entire red bottle of o2 into your fermented beer to set up the conditions for oxydation, most things we normally do, and even most of the mistakes we make, are really not enough to do so, and besides, oxydation isn't an immediate issue for most of us...it appears months down the road, most of us have peed out our homebrews months before oxydation would rear it's ugly head...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You have also helped yourself here since you are planning to naturally carb. The yeast will go a long way in scavenging any oxygen in there. Plus, oxygenation takes time, you will probably drink the hefe before it would have time to show up.

You might look at getting some smaller tubing. The tubing I use is tight on the racking cane, takes a little work to get it on there, but does not need a clamp.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Beerhead
Recipes 

Ok guys thanks for the info, really takes a load off my mind.

Cheers!

"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Quick Reply