Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help me stop drinking Bud Light!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
SOB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Help me stop drinking Bud Light!!!

I'm still young, 22 years old, and I originally had trouble aquiring a taste for beer. Growing up in a rural town and not having a huge selection, the first beer I aquired a taste for was Bud Light.

I have drank this since I was 18 and am now tired of it. I have my first 2 home brews fermenting and since I started this new hobby (which I absolutely LOVE) I have been trying new beers. The problem:

I still have a huge taste for BUD LIGHT!

First off, it's cheap. Yes, I have a great job (Electrical Engineer) and could afford better beer, but I am currently drinking, like, 2 cases a week and with a good beer that would add up a lot more than what I'm currently spending for my love.

Second, I'm having trouble finding other beers I really enjoy! Most of the "different" brews don't taste good. I enjoy some Sam Adams stuff and Blue Moon, but most micro brews I have to choke down.

I'm hoping my first home brews are going to help me over this Bud light hurdle. I also hope you nice guys, and gals, can give me some pointers...I am TIRED of being a

BUD LIGHT B!TCH!!!

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with liking cheap beer as long as you also appreciate good beer. I like an ice cold MGD when I'm slumming

I prefer microbrew and homebrew, but I'll still drink macroswill. And remember, the best type of beer is FREE.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

If you drank good beer, you wouldn't need two cases

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
If you drank good beer, you wouldn't need two cases
Why? I enjoy drinking beer...just because it taste better I will drink less?

Please explain...

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
Brewpilot
Recipes 

Brewing your own is even cheaper than Bud... PLUS, you get to engineer your own brew to suit your own taste. This is a great hobby, your tastes will change and your skills will grow to suit them.

Brewpilot

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have come to the right place! In fact, sad to day, I used to drink MGD quite often when I was in my 20's and very early 30's. Fortunately, I found Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and got a subscription to Beer Across America as a gift in the early 1990s!

My suggestion - try everything. As you said, being an EE, you have some disposable income. So, if you are near a large metropolitan area, take some of that income, bring along a designated driver if you need to, and try to find a bar with a huge selection of beers. Try a little of everything on the beer menu! If the barkeep seems knowledgeable, don't be embarrased to tell him exactly what you have told us here. Hopefully, he can help steer you towards your goal.

It may well turn out that you like something completely opposite of light pilseners, mild ales or American ambers. Maybe an India Pale Ale? A fruit beer? A stout or Porter such as Guinness or Rogue Mocha Porter?

Lastly, IMO, a lot of people's beer tastes develop as they gain experience. My girlfriend was strictly a white wine and Bud girl when we first met in August of 2005. She now won't touch a Bud and, while she still likes a nice glass of wine, it is far and away a once in awhile thing. These days, her eyes literally light up at the sight of an India Pale Ale on a beer menu! Don't be surprised if your tastes change a lot between now and this time in the next year or two.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Switch to Redbridge beer.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #8
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

do you have any beer and wine stores that sell individual bottles? That way you could buy 1 bottle of a bunch of different beers and try to find one you like. What about other light beers like a Sam Adams Light and Heineken Light? Or try a German or Czech Pilsners instead of the American Pilsners.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Homebrews and microbrews tend to have a lot more flavor and a lot more alcohol, so whatever your purpose in drinking...

Try some different micros, keep experimenting - you might find something that you like that'll take you "beyond" Bud Light. Nothing wrong with BMC, I'm not going to knock it - but this hobby/habit of ours is all about experimentation.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpilot
... your tastes will change and your skills will grow to suit them.

Brewpilot
That's what I'm "hopping" for...get it? HOPs? Ya, I'm dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
It may well turn out that you like something completely opposite of light pilseners, mild ales or . Maybe an India Pale Ale? A fruit beer? A stout or Porter such as Guinness or Rogue Mocha Porter.
Rhoobarb
Good point, I have no idea what a lot of the beers out there taste like, I just hope I can aquire a taste for them like I did Bud Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
do you have any beer and wine stores that sell individual bottles? That way you could buy 1 bottle of a bunch of different beers and try to find one you like. What about other light beers like a Sam Adams Light and Heineken Light? Or try a German or Czech Pilsners instead of the American Pilsners.
todd_k
I REALLY like Sam Adams Light. That was one of the first NON Bud/Bud Light kinda beers I tried and I fell in love! After that I haven't found one I liked as much.

BTW, what does BMC stand for?

Quick Reply