Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help Me With Lamp Timer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Help Me With Lamp Timer

I have a freezer chest that I want to use as a warming room for bottles. I have a ceramic heat emitter that is 120Volt, 60 Watt from Pet Smart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...1&lmdn=Heating

I need a timer to plug into it. The only recommendation I can find on this board is:

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Co...3303154&sr=8-1

Can anyone suggest any other models they have used that they like?

For additional information, I had created my own cool/hot regulator for the freezer but the heat outlet stopped working and I have no idea why (took it apart, tested it, could not restore functionality.) I do have some concern that the same will happen to the timer but my concern is only out of ignorance.

Thank you!

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Without a thermostat, a heater will be a problem. Even if you get the timing right, if the room temperature changes, so does the internal temperature.

I tried using just a heater a long time ago. Losing a batch of beer is all it takes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Without a thermostat, a heater will be a problem. Even if you get the timing right, if the room temperature changes, so does the internal temperature.

I tried using just a heater a long time ago. Losing a batch of beer is all it takes.
It shouldn't take too much to keep the temperature over 70F consistently though, right? The freezer is inside the house and temp difference between day and night is no more than 6-7 degrees even in winter.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bumpity bump! I am sure someone else has some advice on this, there must be someone who has been successful with a timer when bottling.

Quick Reply