got the wort boiling. Sprayed with water to prevent boil over. Now time for our 60 min hops.
add them in
now about 30 minutes into the boil my propane tank runs out. I go ahead and switch the tanks and get it going again. In the mean time I took a refactometer sample to see how my boil off was effecting it. It came out to 17 Brix = 1.069. I was aiming for an OG of about 1.066 so I added some water (about 1/3 of a gallon) to compensate with the boil off. I know this could effect hop utilization but I wasnt too worried.
20 minutes left add the wort chiller, no wirlfloc needed seeing as this is a dark beer.
I tasted the wort and it tasted pretty bitter so I waited to add my second hop addition at 5 minutes instead of 10. added in these.
I also added in a bit of nutrient
flame out dropped in 2 cinnamon sticks. They were a little old so I went with 2 instead of 1.
now my tap water dosent really get below 68 so I have added a pond pump the this bucket to suck water into the intercooler and then I can add ice near the end to get it down.
I stir the wort really good to get it moving around the intercooler and then spray some tin foil with starsand and cover up. I not worried about any DMS, plus its not completely tight.
get my carboy with sanitizer going.
I saved this ice packs from when I get shipped my yeast.
throw them into bucket to chill the wort down even more. At this point worts been chillen for about 25 mins.
while im waiting I went online to check my efficiency, and it came out good 74%. I average between 70-80%
I dump the water out of the carboy into this tub to sanitize my other stuff. O2 injector and funnel and airlock. The wort cooled to 68 and I dumped it into the carboy with the funnel.
one of the cinnamon sticks got stuck in the funnel. Kinda like a hop back but for cinnamon lol.
there she is.
check out mr malty pitching rate calculator. Now. Seeing as I usually only make half batches 2.5 I dont use a starter I just use one tube of liquid yeast. I like not having to make starter as it saves time. I also usually make worts around 1.040-1.50 so it seems okay to me. Seeing as I do this, I decided to use 2 tubes of Cal Ale. I didnt have Nottingham or NB's neobritania.
I know im over pitching here a bit.
I use whats left at the bottom of the kettle to take a hydro reading. To my surprise it was lower than I expected! Dont know what happened there, bummer. Oh well 1.062 will do. Also the sample did not taste at all like cinnamon so I will probably add some to the keg.
add about a minute of O2 and slosh it around.
put it in the ferm fridge with the johnson controller set to 67 and let it sit.
I checked the beer about 12 hours later and didnt notice sings of fermentation. I checked again 24 hours after pitching and I had a nice layer of brown bubbles on the top.
I plan to let it go for a full 2 weeks and then see if its dropped clear. Then keg it up.
Ok and that's all folks!