Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help me connect with my long long German Beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
jdcoffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help me connect with my long long German Beer...

I think this is probably the best place to ask... A few years ago I spent about 4 weeks in Germany and I had some of the best beer I've ever had (naturally!)

My problem is that I forgot what the name of the best beer I've ever had is... When I came back I of course couldn't find it in the states but I'm sure we probably have something similar...

OK, so here's what I remember (it's been a few years so the details are fuzzy!)

I was southern Germany, near Ramstein airbase, and also had it in the Heidelberg area. The first time I had it was at a hahanfest (i think that's how you spell it, chicken fest I believe is the translation).

So this was June/July in Germany. It was available locally on tap but I also remember buying several cases and taking them home as well. I think that it was more than just a local brew since I had it in other town, so maybe a regional/national thing too?

So about the beer.... it was light (at the fest there was a favorite light and dark beer). Lightly bitter, very smooth, beautiful head on tap and out of the bottle..

I'm not sure what else I can remember, so I guess I'm hoping someone might have an idea of what I'm thinking of...

sigh, i'm a newbie to the homebrew stuff but if I could figure out what this was, not even a recipe if we don't have one available.

anyway, sorry for the super-long post but kinda figured someone would know what the heck i'm talking about!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Was it Veltins?

I've had my share in Heidelberg and surrounding areas. Very smooth and quaffable.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you could remember if it was a Pilz or a Weizen, it might help narrow it down a bit. Also, the bars over there always poured the beers into glasses with a line on them - the mark either said 0.5L or 0.33L (I think, I always drank 0.5L!). If I'm remembering right, only the weizens came in the 0.5L glasses and the Pils were always in the smaller glasses. I was in the southern Germany area last summer, not far from Ramstein in a place called Homborg (sp) and Swiebrueken (sp). It was the Saar region. Awesome beers, my favorite was the hefe-weisse by Franziskaner. The Karlsburg (or Carlsburg, I can't recall) was the local beer made in Homborg. Bitburger was also popular there as a Pils.
Good luck remembering, with some help it'll come to you!

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
jdcoffman
Recipes 

EdWort, I'll have to see if any of my local places has a veltins, I don't recall that name, but anything's a possibility!

LouT, I think I always drank the .5L as well! Funny how that works, I think most of the locals actually opted for the full liter, but being the lightweight (relative to the locals of course ;-) American I usually took it .5 at a time!

I did spend some time in Homborg, i really liked that area. I've got some memories of BitBurger, pretty good stuff.

--
Primary 1: Special Holiday Ale
Primary 2: Empty!

Bottled:
-Cabernet Sauvignon
-Sauvignon blanc
-NO BEER :-(

On Deck: Rogue Mocha Porter, APA, Some kind of Stout, more Ed's
--
Jonathan Coffman

Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lived in Germany for 9 years and can only submit that chances are it was a local lager or festbier not sold out of the area.

Schade!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

was it Fruh Kolsch? I went to germany a few yrs ago....i drank a lot of bitburger but man this was the best beer I had...good luck trying to find it!

http://www.germanbeerguide.co.uk/kolsch.html

Old 03-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
jdcoffman
Recipes 

homebrewer99, that's what I'm afraid of! I'm going to try to make some calls this week and see if I can track down any of the people I knew back then who were there at the same time... see if they remember.

greenhornet, i don't remember having any kolsch but that link certainly makes it sound very appealing.

I was just on AHS looking for some new primaries and they actually have a Bit clone, I wonder if it's any good? I think it's getting too warm outside for me to try a lager, because alas I don't have a beer fridge or freezer to devote to lagering.

--
Primary 1: Special Holiday Ale
Primary 2: Empty!

Bottled:
-Cabernet Sauvignon
-Sauvignon blanc
-NO BEER :-(

On Deck: Rogue Mocha Porter, APA, Some kind of Stout, more Ed's
--
Jonathan Coffman

Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 AM   #8
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I lived in Ramstein for 5 years. But its been a long time. I used to drink Bittburger, Karlsburg-er, and BBK. I'm guessing here, but I think BBK is brewed in Kaiserslautern.

I remember a lot of the beerfest beer that I drank as tasting like the Kolsh I drink now.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did any of you guys ever go to a schaum party when you were in Germany ( a bit off topic)?

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouT
Did any of you guys ever go to a schaum party when you were in Germany ( a bit off topic)?
I'm too old for those...besides, I don't like getting my camera all dirty (clean?)...

Quick Reply