Help with Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeydan

Reaction score
Sup people,

I am hoping you will be able to assist me with some queries. I brewed Edwort's Kolsch 3 weeks ago and was planning to lager it prior to bottling. I'm assuming it has reached FG but haven't checked yet, will do it over the weekend.

I have searched the answers to all of these questions but only managed to confuse myself and would appreciate some input:

1. Do I need to transfer to a secondary vessel in order to lager, or can I leave it in primary on the yeast?

2. If I do need to transfer it, I only have a 25-litre bucket which has quite a lot of headspace at the top. Is this an issue with regard to oxidation? If so, what do? (Add a little sugar to produce some CO2, for example?)

3. How long to I need to lager for, and at what temperature?

4. Will there still be sufficient yeast in suspension to carbonate should I wish to bottle? (I am planning on ordering kegs next week so this might be my first kegged beer)

Thanks

These are just my own recommendations. Of course there are many variables but this should get you started in the right direction!
Good luck!

1. Some people leave their beer on the yeast for long periods but for lagering I would
recommend a secondary!

2. I would not worry about oxidation. You will have plenty of CO2 left after the transfer.
The beer is saturated with CO2 and it will come out of solution to form a new layer on
top!

3. 4-6 weeks at between 34° and 44° F.

4. There should be enough yeast left to bottle condition but it may take a bit longer
than usual! Make sure the beer has warmed up enough if you bottle!

I've made this several time (great beer Ed!) and I simply "lager" it in the final serving vessel. 3 weeks in primary and then either:

- bottle it, let it carb, and then stick it in the fridge for a few weeks before drinking

or

- keg it, stick it on gas at serving pressure, and keep your hands of it for a few weeks

Back