Help! Gelatin killed my head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mageac

Reaction score
I added approx 1 tablespoon of gelatin to 5 gallons of cold (40 deg F) kegged, force carbed, belgium tripel. After drawing off my first few pints, its carbonated, crystal clear, and tastes fantastic but there is no head at all;makes it look like sparkling wine or something.

Never realized that gelatin can have that effect on head retention. As in, make it completely disappear. Apparently I used too much?

I have to turn in this brew in one week for a competition. Anything I can do to give my beer some kind of head?

A whole tablespoon is about 3 times the recommended dosage (6 times if you follow the instructions on the LD Carlson bottle you get at most LHBSs) so it very well could be the gelatin, but there's really no way to know for sure without doing some experimentation. There are a number of things that could cause your head retention to be poor. Poor glass rinsing, lack of dextrins in the beer and simply not being carbonated enough come immediately to mind. Go back over what you did and see if any of those might be the cause before jumping straight to blaming the gelatin.

I consistently use a quarter ounce of gelatin per 5 (know people who use an ounce) and have not experienced these issues. My money is on something else being afoot.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I had the beer carbonated before the gelatin addition and there was plenty of head retention, as there normally is after I force carb.

Another thing that may be worth mentioning is that I accidentally froze this beer (~20 deg F) for a few days after the gelatin addition. Maybe the freeze affected the carbonation?

Now when I pour, it seems carbed like a sodapop. You can see and hear the fizz and the temporary head just dissipates.

I'll try and turn up the pressure to ~30 psi for the next day or two and see what happens.

Looks like I was able to force carb a head back into my beer after 1.5 days at 35 psi it looks good to go.I still wonder why the head completely disappeared after my gelatin addition; im quite sure it was carbonated with good head retention beforehand. maybe im just crazy. oh well, next time ill use a teaspoon or so of the stuff. btw, my beer is very clear now

I suspect that it was the freezing that expelled most of the co2 from the beer and it was too flat.

Yeah I have gelatined and cold crashed several batches and had no issues with head retention other than those that I am attributing to carbonation issues.
I would make a safe bet that it was not the gelatin that was the culprit but something else.

I researched gelatin pretty thoroughly and I ran into few if any concerns with head retention.

Back