Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help with beer names for Nano

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Help with beer names for Nano

Hey guys, I'm opening my nano in two months and need a little advice on the beer names. My brewery name is Crooked Run Brewing, peep the logo:

The four year-round beers are called:

Hopsail: Belgian single. Named after the unique bamboo trellises in my hopyard that look like sails.

Heartsong: Belgian dubbel.

Nature's Warden: Brown ale.

Storm: IPA

I really like my names, but I got to thinking...most Belgian breweries just name their beers blonde, dubbel, 6, 10, etc. When I see an American Belgian beer with a name, I feel like I trust it a little less. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking just changing the names for the single and dubbel to Single and Dubbel. Thoughts?

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats on the new business! Maybe meet it half way and put the single and dubbel boldly in the title (i.e. "Hopsail Single", "Heartsong Dubbel"). I think it would make the product appear unique to your brand but still give beer aficionados and craft enthusiasts an instant idea of what it is.

To me, at least, just putting the word "Dubbel" on the bottle with nothing else would be reminiscent of the old black and white generic products that just said "CEREAL" and "BEER."

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

+1 on the congrats! I like the logo, although to be honest it looks more like a winery logo than something I would associate with beer. That's not inherently bad; it looks classy.

I agree, as well, that you can keep your beer names if you also clearly identify the style. I wouldn't stress too much about how the Belgian breweries name their beers. I'm thinking of beers like Ommegang's Three Philosophers, which I love but that is identified by its name moreso than by the fact that it's a Quad.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

There are a ton of great American takes on Belgian beers that have unique names. Hennepin, Collete, Damnation, Tropic King, etc. I wouldn't sweat it, I like the unique names.

Congrats.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
+1 on the congrats! I like the logo, although to be honest it looks more like a winery logo than something I would associate with beer. That's not inherently bad; it looks classy.

I agree, as well, that you can keep your beer names if you also clearly identify the style. I wouldn't stress too much about how the Belgian breweries name their beers. I'm thinking of beers like Ommegang's Three Philosophers, which I love but that is identified by its name moreso than by the fact that it's a Quad.
Thanks! That was the look I was going for. I do a lot of wine-like beers; an Elderberry quad, maple strong ale, fresh hop double IPA, etc. Check out my blog at http://crookedrunbrewing.wordpress.com/ if you want to read some interesting stuff. I'm also on Facebook under Crooked Run Brewing.

I agree, I think I'll keep the names.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Quick Reply