New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaBrew View Post
Thanks Johnnyhitch! I feel better now about my situation, I'm gonna put all OG's > 1.060 started in a blow off tube for precaution.
Forget 1.060. Just do it. Or try a 1.050 with Wyeast 1007 without a blowoff tube and you'll find out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #12
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel
Forget 1.060. Just do it. Or try a 1.050 with Wyeast 1007 without a blowoff tube and you'll find out.
Lol. I agree.. I don't want to deal with that mess and BS again..

Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
hbrew85
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaBrew View Post
Just got home from work and my 2nd day of pumpkin ale (with real pumpkin) is exploding out the airlock from my 6 gallon glass primary carboy... What a sticky mess this is. What should I do? I'm afraid to take the cap off the airlock or take the airlock off. I don't want an infection or pumpkin ale everywhere. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Blow off hose is a way to go for sure ( I got mine from lowes, dont remember the exact size) but dont worry about taking off airlock, when its at the peak of fermentation its pretty safe.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
neophilus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

S-05 always fakes me out. I watch the airlock for a few days and everything seems calm, then I let my guard down and suddenly there's foam spouting out the top.

I've been trying not to use a blowoff tube for too long because they get cloudy and I can't get the yeast crud out after a couple days then I have to buy new tubing.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophilus
S-05 always fakes me out. I watch the airlock for a few days and everything seems calm, then I let my guard down and suddenly there's foam spouting out the top.

I've been trying not to use a blowoff tube for too long because they get cloudy and I can't get the yeast crud out after a couple days then I have to buy new tubing.
What I do to clean the junk out of my blow off tube is pretty simple and works really well for me. First I submerge the tube for a day or so in water so all the material is pretty well soaked. Then I take a length of bailing wire about a foot longer than the blow off tube. I make small loop on one end of the bailing wire and tie some yarn to the loop. I wrap the yarn around the loop and about a 2" section up the wire until the thickness is just about the same diameter as the inside of the blow off tube. Essentially making a big cotton swab on one end of the wire. Feed the non wrapped end through the tube, pull the wrapped end all the way through and it pulls all the left over gunk out. Rinse the tube out and the cotton swab end off and repeat if needed. It gets pretty much all the stuff out and it's ready to be soaked in sanitizer and reused the next time you need it.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
neophilus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

That's what is great about home brewing there is a DIY solution for every problem!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Cold crashing is bringing the vessel down to 35* to essentially bring all trub and pumpkin (in your case) out of suspension, also most dead non-active yeast cells. if you dont have a chest freezer or any way of doing this, let your bucket sit for atleast 2 weeks after fermentation stops and FG is reached to let all break material to settle.
I have a fridge in my garage I can use to cold crash. It easily gets down to 35. Just brewed my first beer today and only have a primary fermentation bucket. Once fermentation is finished, how long should I cold crash at 35 F before bottling?

Quick Reply