Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
MinnesnowtaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help!!!!!!!

Just got home from work and my 2nd day of pumpkin ale (with real pumpkin) is exploding out the airlock from my 6 gallon glass primary carboy... What a sticky mess this is. What should I do? I'm afraid to take the cap off the airlock or take the airlock off. I don't want an infection or pumpkin ale everywhere. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

blow off tube

Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
NCangler17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Make a blow off tube and put it into the bung. Don't worry about infection for the brief time between removing the air lock and putting a blow off onto it.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

So much CO2 is blowing out there is really no concern if anything getting in, just sanitize a blow off tube set up and your good

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow... Thank god for this awesome beer forum app. You guys rock. Just followed your advice and my situation went from messy and crazy to a clean, stable blow off tube situation.

I stuck it in a bucket of water mixed with a little star san. How long should I now keep this blow off tube set up? Should I leave it like this until secondary? I'm a little disappointed that the pumpkin ale looks so thick and filled with sediments. Has anybody experienced this with pumpkin ale using real pumpkin. My OG was 1.060 I thought that was a little high

Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3264

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaBrew View Post
Wow... Thank god for this awesome beer forum app. You guys rock. Just followed your advice and my situation went from messy and crazy to a clean, stable blow off tube situation.

I stuck it in a bucket of water mixed with a little star san. How long should I now keep this blow off tube set up? Should I leave it like this until secondary? I'm a little disappointed that the pumpkin ale looks so thick and filled with sediments. Has anybody experienced this with pumpkin ale using real pumpkin. My OG was 1.060 I thought that was a little high
Have a BDSA in primary now that i KNEW was going to cause me trouble. I always put any beer over .060 in a blow off just to avoid this situation.

Healthy yeast, correct pitch and temperature should almost always cause a blow off IMO ( w/ 3 piece airlocks)

Leave it untill you see activity slow. dont be afraid with switched air locks/blow offs. Its very hard to infect a batch while still fermenting so active and with regards to your sediment comment, was it all grain? Ive had a couple batchs where i drained a lil to much break material in the FV. Just make sure you cold crash or let it sit for 2-3 weeks after vigorous fermentation settles and you hit your FG, you should be fine.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1

Have a BDSA in primary now that i KNEW was going to cause me trouble. I always put any beer over .060 in a blow off just to avoid this situation.

Healthy yeast, correct pitch and temperature should almost always cause a blow off IMO

Leave it untill you see activity slow. dont be afraid with switched air locks/blow offs. Its very hard to infect a batch while still fermenting so active and with regards to your sediment comment, was it all grain? Ive had a couple batchs where i drained a lil to much break material in the FV. Just make sure you cold crash or let it sit for 2-3 weeks after vigorous fermentation settles and you hit your FG, you should be fine.
Thanks Johnnyhitch! I feel better now about my situation, I'm gonna put all OG's > 1.060 started in a blow off tube for precaution.

In regards to the sediment, it was a partial mash BIAB of 2-row and real pumpkin. Crazy Krausen right now, trub on bottom and beer looks thick. Maybe I'm over analyzing?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1

Healthy yeast, correct pitch and temperature should almost always cause a blow off IMO ( w/ 3 piece airlocks)

What are the benefits to cold crash? This is only my second batch so sorry for the rookie question

Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3264

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaBrew View Post
What are the benefits to cold crash? This is only my second batch so sorry for the rookie question
just realized you used real pumpkin. Ive never done it but ive heard it causes A LOT of smaller material in the bucket if not used in a strainer/hop bag.

Cold crashing is bringing the vessel down to 35* to essentially bring all trub and pumpkin (in your case) out of suspension, also most dead non-active yeast cells. if you dont have a chest freezer or any way of doing this, let your bucket sit for atleast 2 weeks after fermentation stops and FG is reached to let all break material to settle.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 10-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I had an IPA that was quiet for 3 days - got suckered and put in the airlock (replaced the blow off). Then it exploded out through the airlock and I frantically added back the blow off. God I love yeast!

Quick Reply