Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heineken differences?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
AviatorTroy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Heineken differences?

OK I admit this has nothing to do with homebrew, but I thought I'd come to the experts with this. I had a work trip down to Nassau this week and today, I had a Heiny with lunch. Now, normally I think that stuff tastes like skunk piss, but it was that or Bud Light. Today's beer, this was definatley different. It was in an entirely different bottle, very smooth, malty, and tasted almost like a helles lager or something.

Is there a difference between what they are selling to us dumb Americans and the rest of the world? If so, why? I did some quick research and Heineken claims that all their beer sold all over the world is the same. If that's so, then the all the Heiny Ive had before today tasted like it was bottled 40 years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

May be a difference in how old the beer was, based on different shipping routes. Maybe.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Boogdish
Recipes 

Maybe you were eating the perfect meal to pair the Heineken with to bring out these flavors.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Was yours in a brown bottle or a can? If not, maybe yours was one of the lucky green bottled ones that weren't skunked.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I understand, the long shipping routes + green bottles allow Heiny to get pretty skunky by the time we get it in our hands. I have had the same experience, though.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Heineken is quite good in some circumstances. If you get it in cans it tends to be a lot tastier. Paired with the right foods, it's pretty good. I had quite a few in Amsterdam while I was there and boy, does a cold Heineken sooth the throat and taste great... it was either that or Amstel in the coffee shops, easy choice :P

Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

SWMBO and I go diving in Bonaire every chance we get, which isn't nearly enough. The first time I had a Heineken there I could instantly tell the difference...it was quite refreshing and didn't have that skunky funk. I imagine that since Bonaire is Dutch, they get their shipments faster than USA.

Last month I brought some Heineken back from Bonaire and had a blind taste test with 3 people...Bonaire Hein vs. USA Hein. ALL 3 blind tasters preferred the Bonaire glass. One even dumped his USA glass after tasting both.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Swmbo and I went to Amsterdam for a week last summer. Let me say, Heineken is mothereffin delicious over there. I don't even know how many 1L mugs of that stuff I drank. Since Heineken is a domestic over there, it's fresh from the source. That truly is a great beer if you can get it fresh.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I actually liked Heineken when I was in Europe, but tried it again when I got back and it tasted like donkey piss, which isn't very good.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it's different. A lot of big breweries, even Guiness and Fosters, have different breweries around the world and can slightly vary the recipe. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are changes in what we get, or if it's just skunked by the time it gets here, and compounded by the fact that it's friggin everywhere but most people dont like it.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
AviatorTroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im glad Im not the only one, I thought for a minute I was going crazy. It was in a green bottle, but definatley for a different market than the us, as it was a 500mL bottle and all the markings were different. Ant it was delicious. Made me mad about what we get at home.

Next I'll have one in Mexico next week and see if that's the same.

Quick Reply