Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > hefeweizen problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default hefeweizen problem

I had really nasty sulphur smell coming from my primary hefeweizen fermenter, but I read that it's completely normal with wlp380 yeast and that I should just get it off of the yeast to a secondary which I did.

Now it has been in the secondary for two weeks, the smell is gone but the beer sample is sooooooooooooo clear!! At this temperature??!! (72 F)

I've never had an ale clear as this hefeweizen! I know that it should be cloudy from the yeast....

what to do now? this is really crazy....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you add Whirlfloc or Irish Moss to the boil? How much wheat was in the batch? There really isn't anything you can do to cloud it up, sounds like you have made a Crystal Weisse.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Where did you hear to transfer it to a 2ndary? I'm expecting mine to clean up that smell in the primary by itself... which should help keep it cloudy. Transferring to a secondary and aging it there will clear it up.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
dougriddle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to the Kristal Weizen. I've actually been wanting to make one of these, so...congrats!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I didn't add any irish moss, there was 50:50 wheat - pilsner ratio in the recipe...

there is still some yeast left on the bottom of the fermenter, I can see a thin layer. should I maybe swirl it into the bottling bucket?

Last edited by 400d; 05-12-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You shouldn't be worrying about this. Just relax. If it tastes good, there ya go. Once you chill it, it will likely haze up and not be clear anymore. Either way, don't spend any time worrying about this.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah it's not a big deal. If it's good, leave it as is, if you really really want a yeastier taste, then kick the yeast up a little bit while bottling - but i dont think that's necessary if it tastes good.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Why did you secondary the Hefe? I go 10 days in primary then kegs after a week I start drinking it and I will agitate the keg every so often but even with that by the time I get to the about 2/3 of the second keg I have crystalwiezen .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Why did you secondary the Hefe? I go 10 days in primary then kegs after a week I start drinking it and I will agitate the keg every so often but even with that by the time I get to the about 2/3 of the second keg I have crystalwiezen .
>

I racked to secondary because I was on a thread where my yeast (wlp380) was commented as a huge sulphur producer. People said that they never got rid of sulphur, even after longer periods in bottles...

The only way to get rid of it, which was written by people who used it many times, was to get it off the yeast to secondary. I have to say that this smell was really nasty, my whole house smelled like dog crap, so I decided to try to get rid of it by racking to secondary.

It really helped. No sulphur at all, typical hefeweizen smell now. It's just clear as water

What an irony - I wish my ales are like this!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

About a tablespoon of flour with 10mins left in the boil keeps my Wheats/Weizen's/Wits cloudy until the last drop, even when I keg them!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply