Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hefeweizen and aging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
BrewScout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hefeweizen and aging?

Is it best to bottle you're hefe as soon as FG is stable or give it the usual 2 - 3 weeks in primary? Or is it just a matter of personal preference? It is my understanding that a hefe is best young. What are your thoughts?

Conserve water, Drink beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Spartangreen
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just did one, and I let it sit in the primary 3 weeks, turned out perfect. I was only going to let it stay in the primary for 2 weeks, but I had bubbles in my airlock for 14 days. My FG came down from 1.012 to 1.009 during the last week.

OG=1.050
FG=1.009
Brewing Classic Styles Book Recipe

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I leave my Hefes in the primary for about 3 weeks and yes, they are best when young but that does not mean 'green" Once bottled they will still take 2-3 weeks to be properly carbonated and conditioned.

By drinking young it means you don't want to let the bottles sit around for 6-8 months and expect them to be great, although I have had bottles that have been around awhile and they still taste great!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

No posts on this thread for some time but I thought this might be a good spot to post. I got a little experimental and did a three gallon batch of hefe and added two gallons of unfiltered natural apple juice. OG was at 1.070 and FG is 1.001 using hefe yeast. I'm basically going for a cider wheat beer. I call it apfelweizen. It's strong and needs to age to mellow out some. But, I'm afraid if i wait too long it will lose its great hefe features. It been in primary for three weeks. Right now its over powered by the apple bite. Any thoughts on aging?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1450 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 616

That's a tough one. I've found my ciders to reach their stride (once the flavors mellow and blend together) around 6-8 months old. That's a lot longer than I'd leave a hefe.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just did a Hefeweizen that sat in primary for 2 weeks and was carbed in 2 weeks. Everyone that tasted it was amazed at how good it was. One person even said, "It was fuc%&ng delicious." Gave a bunch away and only have 4 left. Time to brew another batch! I started it around 72 degrees for 1 1/2 days then moved it slowly down to 64 degrees. It has an amazing balance of banana and clove to the point where it's almost hard to place your finger on the flavor.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf
That's a tough one. I've found my ciders to reach their stride (once the flavors mellow and blend together) around 6-8 months old. That's a lot longer than I'd leave a hefe.
I should've considered that. It fermented really dry. It's at about 7% ABV. I'm hoping that will help it age better than a typical hefe. Only time will tell but It's looking like it maybe more of a cider than anything else.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Deam
Recipes 

Apologies for stirring a dead thread, but thought I might be able to chime in with my own experience - I just recently polished off the last bottle from the first batch I ever brewed, a Blood Orange Hefe made 2 years ago, and it was still delicious. Granted there hasn't been any improvement in flavor over the past year and a half, but it didn't go bad either!

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Kegged: Pumpkin Ale
Bottled: Bavarian Hefe
Planned: Pregnancy

Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deam
Apologies for stirring a dead thread, but thought I might be able to chime in with my own experience - I just recently polished off the last bottle from the first batch I ever brewed, a Blood Orange Hefe made 2 years ago, and it was still delicious. Granted there hasn't been any improvement in flavor over the past year and a half, but it didn't go bad either!
No worries, that's promising for me. I've got a case left of my apfelweizen. I just put it in the fridge last week after two months bottle aging. I tried a few and they have certainly improved. They have a much bigger head with better retention. Also, I'm picking up more banana and clove indicative of the style. Very awesome. Can't wait to see how it ages even more.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me_plz View Post
No worries, that's promising for me. I've got a case left of my apfelweizen. I just put it in the fridge last week after two months bottle aging. I tried a few and they have certainly improved. They have a much bigger head with better retention. Also, I'm picking up more banana and clove indicative of the style. Very awesome. Can't wait to see how it ages even more.
How did the apfelweizen aged? Interesting idea.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply