Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heating fermenting beer and bottles in tub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
petergriffen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heating fermenting beer and bottles in tub

So I had the a rubbermaid tub filled with water, a heater, and fermenting beer. All worked fine. Now I have the bottles in that same tub staying at 70. Now I would like to have both a carboy and bottles but the tub is not large enough. I bought a larger tub but it wasnt strong enough and the sides almost blew out. Any suggestions to on what to heat them both in? Any images? So I just need a tub to fit ~48 bottles and a carboy/6 gallon tub.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could always just stash the bottles somewhere else in the house, assuming you don't live in an igloo. Even if it's cooler they will still carb up. Might just take a bit more time. Controlling the temp of the beer while it's fermenting is different. You can limit/control esthers, fusals, etc., but once it's past all that and is bottled it's not really going to matter if they condition at 63 or 70.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
petergriffen
Recipes 

Well sometimes it's close to an igloo. It is kept around 55 then up to 65 when we are there. How much longer we talking about carbing up? I just tried my first one after a week of carbing and it tasted great.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe another couple weeks. Each beer is different. My house is about the same as yours and my brews carb in about a month, maybe sooner. I don't even bother checking until a month goes by. I like to let them set a while longer to condition a bit but they are deffinitely drinkable at that point.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
petergriffen
Recipes 

I really wouldnt mind a tub that fit both perfectly since I'm already heating the beer as it ferments

Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

You might want to consider 2 tubs . I don't let any of the beers to ferment at 70° . I like to keep them around 65° in the swamp cooler but then again my basement is warm this time of the year and I have to cool the water .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
petergriffen
Recipes 

70 is too hot?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergriffen View Post
70 is too hot?
It may be in the yeasts range but IMHO the beer tastes better when fermented in the lower part of the temp range.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply