Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heat wave fruity esthers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default Heat wave fruity esthers

I had a 5 gallon pail of straight fermented 7 lbs LME to correct an over-hopped pale ale I have. My AC went tits up so the temp in the house went right through the roof. It went to 80 - 90 degrees for about two weeks indoors. The LME had finished its initial fermentation before this happened, but it seems to have developed a very fruity taste anyway. The overhopped brew was kept cool the whole time.

So I mixed the two anyway, because either this works or I need to free the kegs up in the next few weeks. I had a sample taste and the bitter brew does not mask the fruit. The question is whether this fruitiness is going to go away, or is it a lost cause?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default It's only going to get compounded over time

While fruity esters to a degree are acceptable at lower levels in some brewing styles it sounds like the yeast strain you used couldn't handle the heat.

The fruity esters are only going to get worse over time. If the beer is drinkable right now, I would recommend consuming it over the next few weeks. Blending those two beers together was a brilliant idea, unfortunately it sounds like the over-hopped ale didn't mask enough of the fruity esters.

Last edited by Glibbidy; 08-01-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply