Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #711
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
If the yeast hasn't dropped at all, I would think you'll get a couple more gravity points out of it.
No doubt, it'll be at 1.010 after 8-10 days. This is my 3rd Conan batch, 2nd HT clone, and I've got 85% attenuation on all 3.

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #712
chutracheese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What was this recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Getting back to the clone attempt. I brewed my 2nd attempt Sunday night and my airlock died off this morning so I just checked the gravity. I'm at 1.015, coming from 1.071 at 63 degrees. Fairly pleased with fermentation this time around. Tasting is much closer to the bitterness I expected and was lacking in the first attempt. It creeps up at the end just like I remember Heady. I attribute this to a little more hopshot and a 10 degree hotter whirlpool. Flavor getting closer, more of a fruit juice this time around, I guess something like Orange, Pineapple, Apricot and a little pine. I will alter my dry hop to get some more pine in there I think, it's pretty fruity now. Final product up to the dry hop though, so far so good.

Yeast has not dropped at all, bottom of the carboy is clear, the entire mixture looks like a pair of khakis.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #713
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutracheese View Post
What was this recipe?
Bwahahahahaha!!! Play fair and go back and read the thread.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #714
chutracheese
Recipes 

See, this is the kind of crap that really pisses me off. I've read ever single page of this, for months. Been subscribed to it. And everyday, I read the freaking updates.
Now all I asked was how his variation 2 was different than variation 1. But if you are going to jump on me , then EXCUSE ME!

This has been a great thread that I follow intently and very much look forward to brewing in the very near future.
If I missed how you changed the 2nd brew, I'll go back and look.
Thanks for all the POSITIVE contributions to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Bwahahahahaha!!! Play fair and go back and read the thread.

Reason: Language. Knee Jerk Overreacting.
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #715
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Simmer down cheese, Nord was just messing around. I remember when I got on here I was like "where the hell is the recipe assknuckles?" and they were like "We don't have one yet moron" and it's been all good since then. Nobody meant any offense, it's Friday night, lets all just celebrate by drinking whatever awesome beer we can get , even if it isn't Heady.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #716
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutracheese View Post
See, this is the kind of crap that really pisses me off. I've read ever single page of this, for months. Been subscribed to it. And everyday, I read the freaking updates.
Now all I asked was how his variation 2 was different than variation 1. But if you are going to jump on me , then EXCUSE ME!
Reeeeeally? Wow, and that was the edited for language version. Sorry to get your undies all in a knot, man, but....

Quote:
Simmer down cheese, Nord was just messing around. I remember when I got on here I was like "where the hell is the recipe assknuckles?" and they were like "We don't have one yet moron" and it's been all good since then. Nobody meant any offense, it's Friday night, lets all just celebrate by drinking whatever awesome beer we can get , even if it isn't Heady.
Yeah, this guy said it about right. I have a sense of humor, it comes out sometimes, uncontrollably. Admittedly not always the clearest to see in type, but really, wow, I never meant to make anyone hate HBT.

Oh yeah, I'm finally getting around to brewing mine tomorrow. I'd planned on last weekend, but I had a horrible cold and didn't wanna f my yeast in the a with viruses. Going roughly 90% pearl, 5% carapils, 5% corn sugar (I know, BeerSmith made me do it ). Hop Shot to ~60 IBU, 6 hops at 5min, 6 at knockout/whirlpool ~15 mins, then into my HLT with leaf hops until it hits ~175F. (I need a Hop Rocket *CoughDangerRossCough*) Probably gonna do the two keg deal to dry hop, sounds like fun.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #717
whitehause
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yea....I think 90 pearl, 5 cara, and 5 something else(sugar,honey malt,melanoidin) and hop shot to bitter seem to be the consensus. It's the hops that are the biggest mystery.

Question....and I know it's almost sacrilege.....but has anyone let a can of Heady sit for a few weeks and carefully pour it like you would with a bottle conditioned beer? If so, is it clearer than a fresh can, or is it still very cloudy? I'm just wondering if the cloudiness is chill haze. It may be that Heady doesn't chill the wort all that fast in order to let the whirlpool hops steep longer in warm wort. It could also explain the proteins that seem to be in there also. I know they keep it cold in the bright tanks, I just wonder how long they take to get the temp down.

Just throwing it out there.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #718
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This has been a fascinating thread to follow, thanks to all involved! I've only had one can of Heady, and it was marvelous. I would gladly pay for a Vial of Conan if anyone has any extra hanging around

Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #719
chutracheese
Recipes 

I'm good. Next round is on me.
I guess I failed to find the humor.

If I may ask my question, and if this has already been asked or stated, then I will be glad to apologize:

Vegan: I saw where you intended to change up your second batch and add amarillo (see post 600). I also made note of your blog where you mentioned that you would be changing your hop additions: (http://www.signpostbrewing.com/heady...-clone-tasting).

Bittering: Hop Extract 60 IBUs
5 minute addition: Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Amarillo
Whirlpool: Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Cascade/Chinook/Amarillo
Dry Hop 1: 4 ounces of a combination of Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Cascade/Chinook/Amarillo
Dry Hop 2: 2 ounces of a combination of Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Cascade/Chinook/Amarillo run in something similar to a hopback.

Now, if I may, would you mind sharing your recipe for this batch?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #720
SkinnyPete
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Question....and I know it's almost sacrilege.....but has anyone let a can of Heady sit for a few weeks and carefully pour it like you would with a bottle conditioned beer? If so, is it clearer than a fresh can, or is it still very cloudy? I'm just wondering if the cloudiness is chill haze. It may be that Heady doesn't chill the wort all that fast in order to let the whirlpool hops steep longer in warm wort. It could also explain the proteins that seem to be in there also. I know they keep it cold in the bright tanks, I just wonder how long they take to get the temp down.

Just throwing it out there.
Heady is still cloudy after a few weeks. After a few months, it's crystal clear (and tastes like a Belgian IPA).
Closed Thread

Quick Reply