New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #621
somedudefromguam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

So, here is an update on a beer I brewed 7 days ago:

I wanted to experience the effects of a single hop addition at flame out.

1 gallon batch
2row 88%
Crystal 20 12%
1.046 OG
1.010 FG
2 oz Chinook 15.6% aa. Added at 178, temp dropped to 175 after hop addition at 2:40, 168 degrees at 2:45, 165 degrees at 2:50, 160 degrees at 2:55, 156 degrees at 3:00. Crashed to 70 degrees within 10 minutes. Total time hops in wort- 30 minutes.
California yeast, over pitched- approximately 3.5 million cells/ml/deg. plato.

This is just a gravity reading that I am tasting. Very aromatic, which was expected, with smooth citrus also fresh-cut pineapple. Flavor, muddled by the yeast/green flavor, is mostly citrus- grapefruit and maybe also pineapple. Bitterness level at first seemed to be between 80 IBU-100IBU, but after sipping for a few minutes and writing this....sip, gulp, aah...Yes, it seems to maybe be a little lower, in the 60-80 IBU range.

Very good sample, being made with only one large lat hop addition, I am surprised about how much hop flavor and bitterness was attributed. This might be kind of expensive to do this on a large scale, but it would not be the first time I have added this many hops to one brew...

I will be sure to post a review of the finished product.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #622
Deric

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Grew some yeast from the last 1" +/- of the last can of Heady I had. Stepped it up 3 times (I think). Still have some left for next time...

Brewed our normal IIPA (87% 2 row, 4% crystal, 4% cara-pils, 5% sugar O.G. 1.067) with only minor changes so I had a base line to compare the yeast. We did cut the crystal in half. Used hop extract for bittering and finished with Columbus, Cascade and Citra. Cascade and Citra dry hop.

Had my WORST brew day ever. Tried to rush the sparge and had my first ever stuck mash. That sucked. Scooped all the grain out of the tun, mixed in some hot water and tried again. Still very slow but moving.... Missed O.G. by ~5 points. Didn't write it down but I think we hit 1.062/3.

Pitched Conan and fermented at ~61*. After a week and a half it was still at 1.020. Raised the temp a few degrees and swirled the fermenters twice a day for a few days. At 2 weeks it was at 1.012. Dry hopped and waited another 7 days (3 weeks total). Kegged Saturday (1.010), first pull last night.

Very good! While the Citra is very prominent, the peachy, Heady thing is very happening!! Hope to have a few more HT's to compare before the keg runs dry.

One thing I noticed about Conan - I'm far from a yeast expert - it was the best smelling yeast I've ever smelled when I was doing the starters. Very bready and slightly fruity. I was tempted to take a pull off the starter but never did.

In dog beers I've only had one.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #623
David2mayes
Recipes 

I’d love to make a brew similar to this some day!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #624
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 264

I was sipping my clone last night and my daughter was eating a package of peaches. I borrowed the package and did a side by side with my clone and was amazed how much peach was in there that I really didn't notice before. It's sort of underneath everything in the finished product but it's definitely there.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #625
dbennett78
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anyone have a recipe that they think is close to the real deal yet? I have the Conan on its last step up and plan on storing it until I am ready to use.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #626
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

I think we're still at the experimentation phase. My clone came out close, I know two others here who think there clone is close as well. This might not help.

OG- 1.071
FG- 1.010
Mash at 149

85-100% Pearl
Possibly Munich, Vienna at around 5-7%
Possibly Carapils
Possibly Dextrose

60-70 IBUs of hop extract in the boil
30 IBU 5 minute addition with some combo of Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Cascade/Amarillo/Chinook
20-30 IBU whirlpool addition with some combo of Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Cascade/Amarillo/Chinook
Dry hop with 4 ounces and run through 2 ounces on the way to keg or bottle.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #627
sweetcell
Swollen Member

Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 217

didn't we come to the conclusion that there is no crystal in HT? if so, that would nix the carapils.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #628
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
didn't we come to the conclusion that there is no crystal in HT? if so, that would nix the carapils.
Up to you, I don't consider carapils to be crystal in that sense.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #629
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

No crystal or Amarillo...
Why not sub wheat or flaked barley for carapils? Lots of pro brewers go this route as they are generally substantially less in cost than carapils.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #630
SkinnyPete
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

For what it's worth, I actually have settled on my grain bill after much experimentation. The right sweetness is what I struggled with in side by side comparisons. Mine was either not sweet enough or too sweet. I finally settled on...

91% Pearl
2% Munich
1.5% Honey Malt
5.5% Corn sugar

I think the honey/munich malt combination gets me to the sweetness that I need without being overly sweet or honey-like. Side-by-side color comparison has been pretty dead on. No carapils or crystal. I'm still playing with the hop additions, which I feel are seriously close at this point but not perfect. I'm very happy with my grain bill and even if new evidence comes to light regarding what they actually use - I'm probably sticking with this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply