Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
koopa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Definitely some CTZ hops and Simcoe being used, probably along with others like Centennial (or cascade) and maybe even Nugget and/or Amarillo. I wouldn't even be surprised if a bit of Summit is in the mix, as it gives a citrusy note and sometimes offers hints of onion which I definitely smell in the Heady Topper nose. Although others claim the onion notes can also be produced by the CTZ hops.

Simcoe on its own can indeed sometimes produce pineapple notes. Amarillo usually gives peach, Centennial/Cascade grapefruit, and Nugget pear. A combination of some of those can definitely impart pineapple.

I would not say Citra hops for a few reasons...

1. I've had various single hop Citra beers as well as many beers with Citra featured and they don't taste anything like Heady Topper (hop flavor wise).

2. I've brewed several beers with Citra and they don't taste anything like Heady Topper (hop flavor wise)

3. Citra Hops were first presented at the "World Beer Congress" in 2008. The Alchemist has been making Heady Topper since at least early 2004.

Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
dukes
Recipes 

I also agree that it might not be Citra. To me, Citra is a very "dank" tropical fruit aroma and flavor which reminds me a lot of Founder's Double Trouble. I didn't get any "dank-ness" from Heady. From what I remember of Heady, the aroma was very similar to the aroma of opening up a vacuum pack of hop pellets. Pure delicious hop juice.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
FRS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subscribed. I agree that citra is probably not the main flavor hop; it tastes nothing like FFF Zombie Dust.

The only IPA I like more than heady topper is Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine IPA. Those Vermonters know how to make a good IPA!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #24
althea
Recipes 

I recently tried Heady Topper for the first time as a friend brought me a 4 pack home from VT. The first can I followed the "directions" and drank from the can as they state it is designed to be drank this way. It was great. But I then decided to pour into a glass. There was an enormous difference in the experience and a better one from a flavor and aroma standpoint. I don't think you get all that aroma with it staying in the can. I'm convinced that they tell you to keep it in the can because of the fact that the ale is the cloudiest ale I have ever drank, in fact it had what appeared to be hop particles floating all in it. From this I came to the conclusion that they somehow filter (hopback) this beer through fresh hops on the way to the canning machine. The fresh hop flavor and oils seem to be so fresh that I'm convinced something funky is going on right before canning. Just my 2 cents. Delicious nonetheless. Peace.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
BeerCrafter2011
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was listening to a podcast about the collaboration beer they did with Stone. Greg Koch said that "the brewer" (he forgot his name which is John Kimmich) likes to use extract. This should be an important part of the equation

Obsessed about brewing.

People Like This 
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
BeerCrafter2011
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

BTW, I have a 4 pack in the fridge next to Lawson's Finest Permagrin. Awwww yeah...

Obsessed about brewing.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
ScootersAle

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Heady Topper > Pliny the Elder. Sorry.

AND it comes in a can.

Alchemist is also starting to produce a gluten-free beer: Celia Saison

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCrafter2011 View Post
BTW, I have a 4 pack in the fridge next to Lawson's Finest Permagrin. Awwww yeah...
+1 Permagrin is a great beer. Lawson's Finest is putting out some amazing beers. Vermont is a good state for beer

Up Next: Helles Bock
Fermenting: Dry Hopped Brett Saison, RR Row 2 Hill 56 Clone
Kegged: Oktoberfest, Dry Hopped Shed Clone, White House Honey Porter

Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I just did a tour of Vermont breweries a few months ago, and totally agree that the state is great for beer. Heady Topper is the first IIPA that I can say I've really enjoyed and would like to drink more of. I find Pliny to be okay, but really don't like any other IIPA's.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootersAle View Post
Heady Topper > Pliny the Elder.
I'd agree to that.

Heady Topper is up there with Jai Alai, Double Trouble, Hoptimum, Mikkeller Single Hop Nelson Sauvin, Zombie Dust, Palate Wrecker, etc. I thought Pliny was pretty overrated, though not as much as "Hype"slam

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by althea View Post
I recently tried Heady Topper for the first time as a friend brought me a 4 pack home from VT. The first can I followed the "directions" and drank from the can as they state it is designed to be drank this way. It was great. But I then decided to pour into a glass. There was an enormous difference in the experience and a better one from a flavor and aroma standpoint. I don't think you get all that aroma with it staying in the can. I'm convinced that they tell you to keep it in the can because of the fact that the ale is the cloudiest ale I have ever drank, in fact it had what appeared to be hop particles floating all in it. From this I came to the conclusion that they somehow filter (hopback) this beer through fresh hops on the way to the canning machine. The fresh hop flavor and oils seem to be so fresh that I'm convinced something funky is going on right before canning. Just my 2 cents. Delicious nonetheless. Peace.

The can I had didn't advise drinking it out of the can. It did warn that you may see "hop resin" suspended in your serving. I now know what "hop resin" looks like :-) Great beer. Plus free. Thanks Jesper ;-)

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS