Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #201
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A description of Riwaka hops from New Zealand. If the Alchemist has a NZ hop connection in some of their brews, this could be a player in Heady.

Straight from their site

Selection:

The Riwaka is a real standout during selection especially when “rubbing up” the freshly kilned cones for aroma scores. Its powerful grapefruit “citrus” characters are literally breathtaking. This variety is typically seen to have higher then average oil, almost double that of its Saazer parent.

Brewer’s notes:

If you want to say “hops” in your beer than this variety says it all. The pure weight of the oil character experienced during selection carries right through to the glass. A punchy addition to the new-world styles of Pale Ale and regional Pilseners. A cult hero that is established in the New Zealand craft beer culture.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #202
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
A description of Riwaka hops from New Zealand. If the Alchemist has a NZ hop connection in some of their brews, this could be a player in Heady.

Straight from their site

Selection:

The Riwaka is a real standout during selection especially when “rubbing up” the freshly kilned cones for aroma scores. Its powerful grapefruit “citrus” characters are literally breathtaking. This variety is typically seen to have higher then average oil, almost double that of its Saazer parent.

Brewer’s notes:

If you want to say “hops” in your beer than this variety says it all. The pure weight of the oil character experienced during selection carries right through to the glass. A punchy addition to the new-world styles of Pale Ale and regional Pilseners. A cult hero that is established in the New Zealand craft beer culture.
I have never smelled one, but read these hops smell like kumquats. Is that smell aparent in heady topper?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #203
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

I was surprised to wake up this morning with an email from none other than John The Alchemist (as he signed the email).

Here's what I learned:

CO2 hop extract for bittering with all other hop additions coming at 5 minutes or less and no Citra, at least not yet. 75-80 IBU. Most of the aroma comes from his private yeast strain named Conan.

-Retired Homebrewer

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #204
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Really cool. I was thinking somewhere around that number for bitterness as well. It doesn't have the lip curling bitterness of a lot of the other 100+ IBU imperials out there. So by saying "as of yet" it leads me to believe that he doesn't have a strict hop bill that he uses, that he perhaps changes it periodically.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #205
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Really cool. I was thinking somewhere around that number for bitterness as well. It doesn't have the lip curling bitterness of a lot of the other 100+ IBU imperials out there. So by saying "as of yet" it leads me to believe that he doesn't have a strict hop bill that he uses, that he perhaps changes it periodically.
This hop extract is proving financially prohibitive. Northern Brewer is the only one I can find that sells it somewhat low-priced, so long as you're ordering other stuff to save on shipping. But, they're out of stock.

Everything he said about the process seems to be reflected in the final product, I figured he did extract and then everything 5 minutes or less. I think it's down to Moteuka or Riwaka at this point.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #206
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Odd that he said 75-80IBU lab tested and their website has it at 120. Wonder what is up with that different. Was he telling me 75-80IBU is the hop extract? The way I've got my recipe, I'm getting 65 IBUS from my bittering addition, whether hops or extract, and then another 12-15 from my 5 minute addition of Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo, and Chinook.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #207
whitehause
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Could be....I'm not sure I'd get too stuck on the hop extract end of it though. I would think a good clean hop like magnum would work fine for bittering. It's the late addition hops I wish he would have opened up on.(and how they are added). I completely understand why he didn't, but sure would have been nice. At least we can take citra out of the equation for sure now.

Great work on getting a response and posting it!

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #208
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Could be....I'm not sure I'd get too stuck on the hop extract end of it though. I would think a good clean hop like magnum would work fine for bittering. It's the late addition hops I wish he would have opened up on.(and how they are added). I completely understand why he didn't, but sure would have been nice. At least we can take citra out of the equation for sure now.

Great work on getting a response and posting it!

Well, I tried not to ask a ton of questions in hopes of him actually answering the few I had. I just did the web-based question form on their website and got the response about a week later. I guess someone else could try asking him the same way about the late hops, though he might be onto us now.

One thing I just read over on beeradvocate is that someone spoke to John's wife at a party and she said they use hop extract and no crystal. If the grist is only pearl and sugar, it's going to be like 4.6SRM, is that even close?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #209
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

It is a very light colored beer. That SRM is probably about right.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #210
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Wonder who his hop supplier is. We could get a mole in the organization to feed us some recent hop orders to the Alchemist brewery...

Closed Thread

Quick Reply