Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Heady Topper is the best IPA I've ever had, hands down. Beats any West Coast hop bomb on flavor any day. They wouldn't give up anything about it at the brewery when I was there a few weeks ago.

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
biochemedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Heady Topper is the best IPA I've ever had, hands down. Beats any West Coast hop bomb on flavor any day. They wouldn't give up anything about it at the brewery when I was there a few weeks ago.
I'd not heard of this beer before, but I want it now!

Regarding the OP, perhaps they use some less well known NZ hops, perhaps Motueka? That strain is supposed to have a sort of tropical fruit flavor/aroma.

The note that the brewery was rather tight lipped about their recipe reminds me of my first tour at DFH years back...they used to say they used a variety of hops in their 60 min IPA, including "Mystery Hop X." During the tour, I asked what the "Mystery Hop X" was...the reply was that if I could provide them the recipe for Original Coke, they would share the recipe for 60 Min....
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
Liebz15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
I'd not heard of this beer before, but I want it now!

Regarding the OP, perhaps they use some less well known NZ hops, perhaps Motueka? That strain is supposed to have a sort of tropical fruit flavor/aroma.

The note that the brewery was rather tight lipped about their recipe reminds me of my first tour at DFH years back...they used to say they used a variety of hops in their 60 min IPA, including "Mystery Hop X." During the tour, I asked what the "Mystery Hop X" was...the reply was that if I could provide them the recipe for Original Coke, they would share the recipe for 60 Min....
It's brewed by Alchemist in Vermont. I believe the unfortunately suffered sever flooding during the storms of 2011. In recovering, they decided to stick with just one brew; Heady Topper. At least that's what I heard...in addition to that they only do 15 gallon batches.

Anyway, if you ever have the chance, I highly recommend grabbing a can or two.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Most of the above is correct, but their new facility is a full-on brewery doing what looked to be 10bbl batches (I could be wrong, we didn't stay long as my daughter was hungry). They have their own canning line too. I got the impression that the brewery was in the works before Irene, and when the brewpub was wiped out, they decided to abandon it rather than rebuild.

They did say that they will be making some other specialty beers starting real soon, but that Heady Topper would remain their only full-time beer for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #15
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I got a huge gin-like flavor out of it, didn't taste like anything I'd ever had before

Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #16
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 42

i get simcoe as well. it almost tastes like the same hop profile as a dfh 60 minute ipa, but way more intense.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebz15 View Post
Thanks! Definitely a good starting point but I agree, I'm not sure about the hop bill. Hopville in general seems to be hit and miss with recipes. Personally, my faither lies in homebrewtalk. I plan to put together a 15 gallon batch recipe tomorrow (I'm thinking simco for bitter, citra and amarillo for flavor and aroma...possibly FWH with citra too...if anything, how could it be bad with those hops) and I will post accordingly. I will be sure to reply back with feedback (too bad a don't have any Heady to compare side-by-side). In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions they would be most appreciated.

let us know how this worked out. i think you may be on it with the hops. i can't really rememeber citra as i haven't brewed with it since it was new on the scene and i don't really remember it being all that great and then i started reading about all the commercial breweries doing citra-centric beers that people raved over, so maybe i just had some not so good citra hops and they got better?

questions abound.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Peacehammer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebz15 View Post
Does anyone know what hop produces that amazing pineapple flavor in Heady Topper? I have read that it is Simcoe hops though I have never been able to make a Simcoe brew so fruity. I have never used Citra before and read that it does impart a pineapple flavor. I’d love to make a brew similar to this some day!
Heady Topper is a fantastic beer. I believe it's citra hops, Three Floyd's Zombie dust has a ton of grapefruit and I think that one is single hopped with CItra.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
954surfer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Liebz I got some heady on the way. How did the brew come out? In particular how much finishing hops did you use and did you dryhop.
I'm brewing on sunday - my first 100% barley malt. Gonna spice up the 5-gal pale with about 10 oz of Amarillo and Simcoe. Think Ill boil up 2-3 oz, toss in another 2-3 around 15 minutes, and dump whatever's left at flameout.

Would like to get my paws on some of those NZ hops though - I thinks Heady's got some of that in there - that's my 0.02.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Citra (10-12%) Strong tropical fruit aromas and flavors (mango, papaya, pineapple).

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS