Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #141
Commonwealth
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Skeezerpleaser i am willing to help out anyone kind enough to be doing mad scientist research and taking the time to share the results. Huge props to othellomcbane & theveganbrewer, thanks for your insights, hard work and willingness to keep us informed. If i opened up trading Heady Topper full blown i think it would become a part time job ;-) I barely brew enough as it is with 4 young kids. It took me a year to build my stand and you would laugh if you saw it because i basically automated a couple camping stoves. One day when i grow up as a parent I'll post my camp chef-brutus rig build and give back a bit to this wonderful community i have found online.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #142
Krovitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My local beer guy let me try some of this on Friday. Definitely lives up to the hype! I was looking into it on Google and found a Boston.com article that says he's doubling production this fall to start supplying a few stores in Boston. Can't wait.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #143
ChrisNH
Recipes 

This has been great discussion. I am planning on brewing El Jefe, their seasonal brew, using the recipe in Mitch Steele's IPA Book. I will have to aquire some more heady toppers to culture that yeast I think. I live in NH but its still a long ride. I had saved a (empty) can to give to my wife next time she road tripped to VT so she could say "give me this please" but now, sadly, she is changing plans and not going to VT .

Seacoast New Hampshire
Live Free or Die!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #144
TapeDeck
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm going to brew something based off of this concept this weekend.
I am actually trying to harvest Conan for a future version, as well, thanks to this stupid, stupid, stupid thread.

My LHBS has Pearl. Since this brew will not be a true clone, I figure I can play around with things a bit. I've noted some suggestions of avoiding Crystal... I'm sort of thinking about trying this as a single malt beer, to see what's missing, and what might be worth adding. Thanks for providing some hop suggestions and schedules... I know this thread has been going a while... if anyone has any updates, suggestions etc, let's keep it alive. This is a beer worth aiming for, as so many of the "not quites" should be damn good as it is.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #145
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I will seriously trade someone for a some legit cultured yeast. I have yet to be able to trade for heady (local beer selection isn't too amazing) or i would do it myself...

Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #146
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibb
I will seriously trade someone for a some legit cultured yeast. I have yet to be able to trade for heady (local beer selection isn't too amazing) or i would do it myself...
Do we really believe the yeast is that critical? I've never had Heady, but from all accounts it is a massively hop-dominated beer. I would think any neutral, attenuative strain would be just fine.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #147
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 47

http://bites.today.com/_news/2012/07/13/12724305-sip-this-world-class-beer-straight-from-the-tallboy?lite

I like to mess around with yeast - this one sounds interesting.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #148
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Do we really believe the yeast is that critical? I've never had Heady, but from all accounts it is a massively hop-dominated beer. I would think any neutral, attenuative strain would be just fine.
Yes, we believe. Just had my 2nd can tonight. This stuff is special.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #149
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 199 Posts

I would say that the yeast helps a bit, but with the amount of whatever hops they really use, any strain would produce a good beer.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #150
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Maybe. But if you're gonna try and clone something, you might as well clone something.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply