Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Liebz15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heady Topper

Does anyone know what hop produces that amazing pineapple flavor in Heady Topper? I have read that it is Simcoe hops though I have never been able to make a Simcoe brew so fruity. I have never used Citra before and read that it does impart a pineapple flavor. I’d love to make a brew similar to this some day!

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
thisgoestoeleven
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread other than that Heady Topper is incredible, and I'm also curious about the hops.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Liebz15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgoestoeleven View Post
I have nothing else to contribute to this thread other than that Heady Topper is incredible, and I'm also curious about the hops.
Darn! I got so excited when I saw a reply...thinking that someone knew the answer I seeked. Still, it's good to see others (and there are many) share this liking and curiousity. Hopefully we will be enlightened soon!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I doubt its Simcoe as I use it heavily and have never picked up anything remotely related to pineapple. Maybe it's Citra, that screams tropical fruits to me.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
I-Hop
Recipes 

I'd love to see a Heady Topper clone recipe! That is some good stuff, but tough to get in the Boston area. I've got a friend that goes up to VT just to get some and he occasionally brings me back some. I hear it will be available around here soon and cant wait!

Once it hits your lips, it's so good! -Frank the Tank

Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My guess is also Citra. The only clone recie I found was on Hopville but I found the hop additions strange- only 2 60 min additions and 2 dry hop additions. May be a starting point for the type of hops used though:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1125066/american-ipa-recipes/heady-topper-clone#

Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Liebz15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geer537 View Post
My guess is also Citra. The only clone recie I found was on Hopville but I found the hop additions strange- only 2 60 min additions and 2 dry hop additions. May be a starting point for the type of hops used though:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1125066/american-ipa-recipes/heady-topper-clone#
Thanks! Definitely a good starting point but I agree, I'm not sure about the hop bill. Hopville in general seems to be hit and miss with recipes. Personally, my faither lies in homebrewtalk. I plan to put together a 15 gallon batch recipe tomorrow (I'm thinking simco for bitter, citra and amarillo for flavor and aroma...possibly FWH with citra too...if anything, how could it be bad with those hops) and I will post accordingly. I will be sure to reply back with feedback (too bad a don't have any Heady to compare side-by-side). In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Liebz15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I doubt its Simcoe as I use it heavily and have never picked up anything remotely related to pineapple. Maybe it's Citra, that screams tropical fruits to me.
I've never used it but I agree, most everyone remarks about citra's tropical flavor and aroma. Simco has always given me more pine and perhaps very subtle citrus. Heady makes you feel like you are drinking a pineapple (in a good way). I did a side by side with Hopslam and in a close race, Heady won out.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Liebz15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hop View Post
I'd love to see a Heady Topper clone recipe! That is some good stuff, but tough to get in the Boston area. I've got a friend that goes up to VT just to get some and he occasionally brings me back some. I hear it will be available around here soon and cant wait!
I will attempt a clone (which will be very tough since I've never worked with Citra...and that's what it will feature) and let everyone know how she turns out. I can get Heady's ABV and I don't pick up too much bitterness but it has got to be there...probably masked by its bold malt (and the malt will be a totally different thing to wrestle with).

Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Subscribed, in case any more info comes out on this beer. Just had my first one last week (a buddy brought me back a 4 pack from Vermont) and I fell in love. With the beer of course. Although my buddy was pretty awesome for bringing me some.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply