Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Headed East; Beer Recommendations please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
It seems a lot harder than rolling to the quickie mart to find the good beer.
It all depends upon exactly where you were at, which is probably the same all over the country. Where I'm at in NY it's very easy to get good beer most anywhere. I'm actually surprised often by the selection I see in stores and restaurants.

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I am near Surf City and Jacksonville. Next to Camp Lejune.

I have read a bunch of threads and articles about the differences between east and west in terms of having more of a hop profile out west. I have also read that the east can make just as hoppy of a beer as the west. So far the only one that stood up to my taste test is hopsecutioner. When I buy a beer named after hops or that says it has a ton of hops I feel that it should live up to the name.

Some people like a hoppy beer. It will not remove the enamel from your teeth, I associate that with bitterness. Hop flavors can be a great range of flavors some are quite pleasant and even sweet.

As for a grocer not being able to keep beer cold. I do not understand. If you were at my local quickie mart you would see that beer sits in the walk in cooler. I never get oxidized, old, or stale beer.

I guess the craft thing just isn't big in this little town or something.

Oh yeah, and if a topic is "old" you can read something else. These threads are where many of us find new beers to try. See OP.

meh.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #33
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dude...
Victory Hop Devil, Victory Hop Wallop, Smuttynose Big A IPA, Southern Tier Un*Earthly, Alchemist Heady Topper, Weyerbacher Double Simco

The problem is not that you are in the east, it's that you're not far enough north. New England has been making incredible IPA's since before the word "light" was only a twinkle in Jim Koch's eyes. It's just gotten kinda old. Honestly though, I've lived on both coasts and neither one is "better" than the other, your choices are just different. To get those choices, you need to go to a beer or liquor store. We don't buy good beer in convenience stores. Hell, I'm not sure I even did that when I lived in LA. We had BevMo there and 90% of the beer was warm on the shelves, just like here, which btw is not a bad thing. Non-rediculohoppy beers get better as they get older and aging quickens at room temp. Had a 2007 Hairy Eyeball the other night. It was not cold by any means when it was brought to me and holy cow was it good. Had a 10yr old barley wine homebrew recently that was also at room temp. Still good, quite yummy.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #34
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife
OK. I have arrived.

So far the East has not fared well.

First off, on the west coast I never have to buy beer that is room temp. Strange. Especially at 9 and 10 dollars for a six pack. Seems like a premium product would at least get refrigeration.

I tried Dogfish head 90 minute....Oxidized with minmal hop aroma or flavor. Weak

I tried Hoptical Illusion....less oxidized with minimal hop aroma or flavor. Weak I told my bro that if you put a beer out with this name but skimped on the hops so much, out west they would burn your brewery down.

I tried Henry Weinhards IPA... Better that expected...pretty weak, tastes just like hoptical illusion.

The beers out here seem heavy compared to my local affair, Ninkasi, Bridgeport, Lagunitas Pales and IPA. It is almost like they still think an IPA should be balanced...NOT ME, I want hops.

I will try Hopsectioner, or maybe just drink my brother's homebrew. I would get the Bell's two hearted but at $10.50 a six pack it is horribly overpriced. I am used to buying Sierra Nevada Torpedo for $7.99. And given the higher gravity and higher hop flavors, surely torpedo costs more to brew. Goodbye, Bells! Great beer but I am not going to subsidize their ineffeciency.
Harvey weinhards is Oregon iirc and it's blech boring. Bells two hearted is excellent stuff usually. If you can find long trail, their unfiltered IPA, IPA and pale ale are excellent. Way above average.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Highland - Gaelic Ale - my favorite all time beer. If you are in Asheville they give tours of their brewery that is very informative.

Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co. - you can't by this at the store but if you have a chance to get to downtown Asheville this is a must stop. Plus they have great pizza.

Sweetwater - 420 - a beer that I really miss since I moved to Illinois. It isn't overly hoppy but there is still enough to make you mouth hoppy - pun intended

Duck Rabbit - Milk Stout - a really smooth stout. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

If you are in the Triangle area you should try and stop by Triangle Brewing. I believe it is Chapel Hill, but they make some really unique beers. A Chipotle IPA and a Raspberry Coffee Stout are two that I remember.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
HopLife
Recipes 

Default Weinhards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
Harvey weinhards is Oregon iirc and it's blech boring. Bells two hearted is excellent stuff usually. If you can find long trail, their unfiltered IPA, IPA and pale ale are excellent. Way above average.
Weinhards does not sell well in my state even though it is our product. Few stores stock it anymore. I had never seen the IPA until I came out here, and yes I found that very strange. The brand went downhill after they were acquired by Bud.

I have had two hearted and I agree it is very good. But really $10.50 a sixer. I am searching for more good beers and the suggestions have been really helpful. I have not seen "long trail."

meh.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #37
HopLife
Recipes 

Default smuttynose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
Dude...
Victory Hop Devil, Victory Hop Wallop, Smuttynose Big A IPA, Southern Tier Un*Earthly, Alchemist Heady Topper, Weyerbacher Double Simco

The problem is not that you are in the east, it's that you're not far enough north. New England has been making incredible IPA's since before the word "light" was only a twinkle in Jim Koch's eyes. It's just gotten kinda old. Honestly though, I've lived on both coasts and neither one is "better" than the other, your choices are just different. To get those choices, you need to go to a beer or liquor store. We don't buy good beer in convenience stores. Hell, I'm not sure I even did that when I lived in LA. We had BevMo there and 90% of the beer was warm on the shelves, just like here, which btw is not a bad thing. Non-rediculohoppy beers get better as they get older and aging quickens at room temp. Had a 2007 Hairy Eyeball the other night. It was not cold by any means when it was brought to me and holy cow was it good. Had a 10yr old barley wine homebrew recently that was also at room temp. Still good, quite yummy.
I think I tried the sweatwater IPA thinking it was the smuttynose. I will have to find the real deal.

I prefer flavors that are not associated with aging, just my preference. I seem to really like hop flavors when fresh and still aromatic. After my first interaction with this thread I was told to start checking shelf dating to avoid old beer, something I have never done back home. There seems to be a lot more to know to find good beers. When I get back I will post some pics so you don't think I am coming way out of left field.

meh.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
Weinhards does not sell well in my state even though it is our product. Few stores stock it anymore. I had never seen the IPA until I came out here, and yes I found that very strange. The brand went downhill after they were acquired by Bud.

I have had two hearted and I agree it is very good. But really $10.50 a sixer. I am searching for more good beers and the suggestions have been really helpful. I have not seen "long trail."
two hearted is $12.99 a sixer at my local place... if they have it at all. $`10.50 sounds like a good deal to me. I'm also in NJ and EVERYTHING is expensive here, especially beer and cigarettes (not that I smoke)

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #39
HopLife
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
two hearted is $12.99 a sixer at my local place... if they have it at all. $`10.50 sounds like a good deal to me. I'm also in NJ and EVERYTHING is expensive here, especially beer and cigarettes (not that I smoke)
Ouch... I know that NY/ NJ are expensive. But here in NC the economy and cost of living are similar to OR. I am used to 6.99 on sale and 7.99 standard price for good beer. Premium brands like Rogue, HUB and Ninkasi are generally 8.99 or on sale for 8.48. I have never in my life paid $10 for 6 12 oz standard gravity beers.

I see Lagunitas Daytime on the shelf at $9.49 in my local grocer and because of the high price we are one of the few areas that it is still available for distribution. Heard an interview with steele and he thought he had the last bottles available.

meh.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #40
HopLife
Recipes 

Well, after trying appx 8 east coast beers with distribution in this little town I realize how open the east is. My bro brews an IPA, Pale, and Porter that stand well against dogfishead 90, Sierra Nevada pale, and Deschuttes Black butte. Considering my experiences at pubs, restaurants and grocery, there is plenty of room for both production brewing and brewpubs in this area. Within 60 miles there is only one brewery. Locally I would be looking at 10 to 12 competitors for similar population (plus more extensive distribution).

meh.

Quick Reply