Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Headed East; Beer Recommendations please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
vp1839
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Some states don't allow the sale of cold beer. In Chicago you can. Over the boarder in Indy you have to buy cold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr View Post
Oh, of course. You're only ever slowing the inevitable; it will fade with time. But it will fade significantly more slowly in a fridge than at room temp (or especially hot), if only just by the Arrhenius equation. I have tested this myself with a case of Hop Czar, in which I had half in the fridge and half in my garage, and the bottles in the fridge stayed "fresh" significantly longer (this was during the summer/fall when the garage was not colder than the refrigerator like now.

EDIT: The point is just that a refrigerated beer is going to stay closer to how the brewer intended for longer than an unrefrigerated one, and thus refrigeration (or cellaring) is often appreciated in craft beer.
Honestly anymore I go to the breweries themselves, a bar or to my one beer source (yeah I've become that guy haha) so I've gotten good at picking out winning beers.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out Surly, Flat Earth, Boom Island, Indeed and Harriet Island if your in the the great state of MN.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I understand the example, but I don't think Pliny is sold in bottles, only kegged. Or, am I wrong?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal
I understand the example, but I don't think Pliny is sold in bottles, only kegged. Or, am I wrong?
I have had bottles, but had to go to San Francisco to find them.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #16
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
It is bottled; I've had it several times. It is very difficult to find, however. Whole Foods typically gets shipments, but you pretty much have to know the wine/beer steward to know when the shipment is coming in, 'cause it goes FAST.

Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Last edited by SiriusStarr; 12-31-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added image.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #17
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 136

It is bottled; I've had it several times. It is very difficult to find, however. Whole Foods typically gets shipments, but you pretty much have to know the wine/beer steward to know when the shipment is coming in, 'cause it goes FAST.

Gotcha, thanks!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

According to their site, Russian River only distributes to the Pacific Coastal states, Colorado, and Philadelphia. They're not an easy brewery to find.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah thanks for the comments. I think we are already going to the best craft beer outlet around here. The bottle market does not move enough volume to have fresh beer, and the prices are even higher.

Hopsecutioner is awesome, I have had it before, It is seriously good, but again it does not get refrigeration.

@ Hoppy Hippo My local grocer only gives the "Big boys" about 20 percent of the refrigeration, about the same as the red bull and Monster energy section. About 25 percent of the refrigeration is for bombers of craft brew and about 30 percent to craft beers and imports in 6 packs.

I guess I thought that the East was similar based on how strong the opinions are on the net. After experiencing NC, I can guarantee that you have to look harder to find good beer. Anyway, I am still sitting pretty because I do have access to my brother's Homebrew which is fantastic.

I may be spoiled in terms of freshness, Ninkasi self distributes as well as Oakshire. They are 1 and 5 miles from my house. Bridgeport is only 100 miles away. Sierra Nevada is starting to get farther away at about 500 miles. We also have beer distributors that specialize in Craft beer and wine, so I think they understand the importance of proper storage and freshness.

Are there any good brew pubs in Williamsburg or Surf City?

meh.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
Are there any good brew pubs in Williamsburg or Surf City?
AleWerks is the only craft brewery in Williamsburg. You can always take a tour through the enormous A-B plant in Kingsmill.

You have more offerings up in Richmond, including Hardywood Park who took Bronze at GABF for their Gingerbread Stout & scored 100 on BeerAdvocate (although it may be hard to find now.) Further west is Devil's Backbone, probably the most award-winning small brewery in Virginia. I think they distribute to NC, you might want to try their Vienna Lager--not hoppy, but a gold-medal beer.

http://www.virginia.org/craftbeer/

Quick Reply