HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I'm new here and I would like to add my two cents worth too.

I agree that we should all accept the typographical errors and accept that Americans can't spell colour.

Your English and US English are different dialects. Different dialects have different pronunciations and spellings. Granted, they have only recently diverged, so the differences are still fairly minor. This is just something we will all have to get over at some point since they will tend to diverge as time goes on.

Please note that it is correct to say "different from" and not "different to".
"compared with" and not "compared to", but "similar to" is correct.

In all fairness, prepositions are really quite arbitrary (and why people can say "compared with" and not feel weird). Some languages do quite well without them (look at Lojban). Even in other Latin-based languages will you find discrepancies in preposition usage...in English "to think ABOUT something," and in Spanish (translated) "to think ON something." Prepositions can be just about the hardest part to master for someone who speaks an Asian language.

THE most misused word on this or any other forum is ADVISE. Nine out of ten ask for it when what they are really looking for is advice. It makes me crazy.

Tom

What about a list of acronyms? Unless I missed that somewhere else. I keep seeing OG & SG used interchangeably and am utterly lost as to what some of the acronyms out there could possibly mean.

What about a list of acronyms? Unless I missed that somewhere else. I keep seeing OG & SG used interchangeably and am utterly lost as to what some of the acronyms out there could possibly mean.

I'm all WTF over FTW.

Can we add one more to the list? My own pet peeve: silicon [sic] tubing, lube, etc. It's not silicon... a hard, silvery, semiconducting material... it's silicone.

This is a fantastic thread and evidence of how ridiculously excellent HBT is. We care about beer and the English language too.

I proofread all my posts, yet still the odd comma will go astray, and I have been known to edit my posts and place a single punctuation point. I'm lucky in that I have an automatic spellcheck on my computer, but it recognizes neither fermentor or fermenter. I think, on the advice of a previous poster, I will spell it fermentour hereafter. It has the whiff of Shakespeare or Chaucer about it.

THE most misused word on this or any other forum is ADVISE. Nine out of ten ask for it when what they are really looking for is advice. It makes me crazy.

Tom

Please advise me by giving me some advice.

It is an understandable verb/noun mix-up and I do not understand why it would drive you crazy.

Totally off topic statement on my part:
:off: As long as you understand what someone is saying on a forum, which is a free form of communication that often imitates oral communication more than traditional literary communication, then why should you care? It has been porevn taht it is rleatievly esay to raed thorugh tpoys and most grammatical failures do not hinder communication. And let's be honest, we all post like we're drunk anyway. :mug: Some of us are more literary than others, that is our problem, not theirs.

Anyway, with the state of modern education, be happy people are actually writing online and not expecting people to view their YouTube videos and responses as a communication medium.

mea culpa
Reading through a thread I came across one of my posts where I'd written 'who's' when I meant 'whose'.

Great thread,

I don't speak English very well, so this thread is perfect for me. :ban:
(How can i love that dancing fruit so much?)

True, true. I wouldn't recommend drinking the contents of a White Labs vial. The anal consequences would indeed be vile.

What about vorlauf, I just went through the forum real quick and didnt see it in any of them talking about it. I see this misspelled soooo much, im sure its in here somewhere though.

How about oxygenation vs. oxidation?

Oxygenation = Introduction of O2 to an environment or solution.
Oxidation = Chemical reaction in which a molecule loses an electron.

Just because you oxygenated your beer does not mean that it will be oxidized.

Here is a misused phrase for your collection: "Tap Handle". Most folks use this when what they are referring to is a "Tap Marker". I will allow that the misuse is so common that even most manufactures/distributors web pages refer to "tap handles" so that they will show up in searches. Even Micromatic has "Tap Handle" nearly everywhere with one of the few exceptions being Beer Tap Handle Tap Marker Angler.

Here is another misused word. "Perlick" is often used alone when discussing Perlick forward sealing faucets even though Perlick also makes several models of rear sealing faucets. It would really be a shame if someone found a faucet at a shop that has "Perlick" stamped on the side and bought it only to find out that it is one of the other models.

Ok this one is really getting to me, i see it a lot on here talking about carbing.
Yes there is a difference between Adsorb and Absorb.

Absorption: physical or chemical phenomenon or a process in which atoms, molecules, or ions enter some bulk phase. Often times involves a chemical reaction. i.e. CO2 absorbs into beer (no chemical reaction tho thank god, thats what happens with oxygen) not on the surface of beer (however that would work). Absorption actually involves diffusion, and other complicated processes.

Adsorption: Is just the accumulation of atoms/molecules on a surface.

It drives me crazy, people will interchange these in the same paragraph.

Here is another misused word. "Perlick" is often used alone when discussing Perlick forward sealing faucets even though Perlick also makes several models of rear sealing faucets. It would really be a shame if someone found a faucet at a shop that has "Perlick" stamped on the side and bought it only to find out that it is one of the other models.

This one almost got me. I was under the impression that Perlicks were all forward sealing till I almost bought some off Craigslist. Glad I checked out the model number before I bought.

This one almost got me. I was under the impression that Perlicks were all forward sealing till I almost bought some off Craigslist. Glad I checked out the model number before I bought.

haha, i saw a non forward sealing perlick on ebay and was like, huh? thats not a perlick... DOH!

As native Oregonians will quickly tell you, "It's Will-AM-it, damnit!"

I've just said aloud "wil-AM-it" and "wi-LAM-it" about a dozen times each and both sound right.

Maybe I need to carry around a tape recorder, pre-plan a situation where I'll say Willamette a few times, forget about the plan and go about my day, then replay the tape.

For what it's worth dictionary.com says wi-LAM-it, so that's why I wrote it that way.

I've just said aloud "wil-AM-it" and "wi-LAM-it" about a dozen times each and both sound right.

Maybe I need to carry around a tape recorder, pre-plan a situation where I'll say Willamette a few times, forget about the plan and go about my day, then replay the tape.

For what it's worth dictionary.com says wi-LAM-it, so that's why I wrote it that way.

Just don't prounounce it like most college football analysts. They usually prounounce it "will-a-mutt" or "wye-lam-it."

I think I even say "wuh-lam-it" from time to time (which is hardly any different and just more casual than "Will-am-it).

OK, on to brewing and more important things!!

sanitation (not sanatation, and not sterilization unless you're in a clean lab environment)

sanitize (not sanatize, and not sterilize unless you're in a very clean lab environment)

Good post. We could add many more. However sterilize and sterilization have their place in home brewing outside of a lab environment. I sterilize my bottles in my oven sometimes, just as Palmer discusses in his book. I do agree that most uses of these terms on this forum are misuses where sanitize and sanitization are in order.

Maybe everyone is so excited about their beer that they don't proofread?

Way old thread, but I wanted to throw it in there that fermentEr is the yeast, what does the fermenting and fermentOr is the vessel in which fermentation takes place. Both exist, they are just used incorrectly.

Can we add abbriveations to this list as well? i.e SWMBO LHBS RDWHAHB <--- WTF does that mean :) etc.

Can we add abbriveations to this list as well? i.e SWMBO LHBS RDWHAHB <--- WTF does that mean :) etc.

I'll give the meanings:

SWMBO: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..... EDIT: Got the smack down!
LHBS: Local Home Brew Supplier
RDWHAHB: Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew! In other words, don't stress about whatever you are stressing about... in the 80's there was a song along the same lines.... went something like "Don't worry, Be Happy"

WTF: No idea WTF that means!:D

I think there is an acronym link around somewhere... I just don't remember where. Good luck getting people to drop the acronyms!

Do you have some time to waste? IF so look up EAC. You will never get anyone to tell you the meaning- the penalty for telling someone is death by firing squad or getting the boot. But if you have the time, it is worth the effort.

I'll give the meanings:

LHBS: Local Home Brew Supplier
RDWHAHB: Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew! In other words, don't stress about whatever you are stressing about... in the 80's there was a song along the same lines.... went something like "Don't worry, Be Happy"

WTF: No idea WTF that means!:D

I think there is an acronym link around somewhere... I just don't remember where. Good luck getting people to drop the acronyms!

Do you have some time to waste? IF so look up EAC. You will never get anyone to tell you the meaning- the penalty for telling someone is death by firing squad or getting the boot. But if you have the time, it is worth the effort.

HEY!!!! WTF is the matter with you???? Never, ever give out the answer to the SWMBO question!!!! You have been here over a year, you should know that!!!! Delete that part!!!!!!!!!

The SWMBO definition has been deleted! Didn't know that was added to the "Do not tell" list! I was told as soon as I started what it was! Ohwell, I'm an EAC anyways and DRGAF.

Back