Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #101
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I make errors when I'm tired, lazy, drunk....(which is more often than not)
But I really do wish people would realise it is only polite to make some basic effort.
Paragraphs, capitals and periods make a massive difference.
There is a Firefox add on that spell checks for you. Google spell checks if you think something is incorrect.

I know I make grammatical errors on occasions but at least I think about the people who read my threads.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 02:46 AM   #102
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I agree with the original intent, to educate on terms that are not readily understood. I also agree that an effort should be made to speak and write intelligibly. But when reading each other's posts try not to forget to RDWHAHB!!

Let's talk about beer, not semantics. Typos are going to happen and now I feel like I have to censor every word or I'll be an outcast. I'm stuck with Explorer at work so now I feel like I need a second window open to Hyperdictionary.com... I hope I can remember that "Tripod" has a "T" in it somewhere.

But Yuri has a point...if we are here to learn than let us all make an effort to show what we have learned.

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #103
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
...But Yuri has a point...if we are here to learn than let us all make an effort to show what we have learned.
Sorry...couldn't resist...

Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #104
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Sorry...couldn't resist...
Too funny!

But it really validates my point. If all you see is the typo, you WILL miss the point of the thread. If all we do is point out each other's mistakes, you WILL scare off potential members who will take their money elsewhere....

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #105
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
But it really validates my point. If all you see is the typo, you WILL miss the point of the thread. If all we do is point out each other's mistakes, you WILL scare off potential members who will take their money elsewhere....
I disagree. While the occasional typo invariably happens on these here interwebs, it takes a minimum of effort to proofread a post for both mechanical and blatant grammatical errors. If a poster doesn't have the decency to make a coherent and properly punctuated posting when posing a question, it doesn't make me particularly interested in answering it. Call me an EAC or a word-nerd (which I proudly am!), but lazy internet English makes me want to cockpunch the person who typed it out.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #106
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
but lazy internet English makes me want to cockpunch the person who typed it out.
I agree with you on lazy internet English. But an occasional typo? Get a life!

I am very thankful to those who offer help but if you threaten "cockpunching" over a silly typo? Besides, there is no hard fast rule dictating that you HAVE to answer if you don't like what you see. Drink a home brew instead...

5/2012

Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #107
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3494 Times on 3385 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As a writer by trade, I'm all for cockpunching for poor grammar, punctuation, word misuse.

For instance, if anybody spells ridiculous with an "e" again I might go postal.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #108
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I agree with you on lazy internet English. But an occasional typo? Get a life!

I am very thankful to those who offer help but if you threaten "cockpunching" over a silly typo? Besides, there is no hard fast rule dictating that you HAVE to answer if you don't like what you see. Drink a home brew instead...
Sometimes I use my MS outlook to check my spelling and grammar and when it’s done it makes corrections that make absolutely no sense whatsoever and every once in a while I don't catch them until later when it is too late. Sometimes it makes me sound like I rapper, pretty funny. I have to ask myself “who programmed this spell checker?”

Old 11-18-2008, 03:29 AM   #109
RevRon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aren't Alot and A lot both considered proper spellings of the word now according to The Modern Language Association?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #110
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
sanitation (not sanitization, and not sterilization unless you're in a lab)
Sanitization is a perfectly good word.

Sanitation - The devising and application of means for the improvement of sanitary conditions.

Sanitize (v. trans.), sanitization (n.) - To make sanitary; to disinfect.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Quick Reply