HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: This thread is intended to be used as a reference. It is educational in nature to help facilitate good communication between forum members. It is in no way an attempt to make fun of any one individual or suggest that proper spelling and grammar are paramount to forum discussion.

I've started a list of brew terms (and other words, for that matter) that constantly get butchered here. Post further suggestions below, and I'll edit them into this post.

Spelling:

aerate / aeration (not aeriate / aeriation)

a lot (not alot)

barley (not barly or barely)

beer gas (a mix of roughly 75% nitrogen and 25% carbon dioxide, not pure nitrogen)

bottle / bottling / bottled (not bottel / botteling / botteled, not bottleing)

carbonate / carbonation (not carbinate / carbination, not carbomate / carbomation, not carbonization)

commercial (with two m's, not commerical)

definite / definitely (not definate / definately)

fermenter (not fermentor)

hydrometer (hygrometers are used in cigar humidors, not brewing)

India Pale Ale (not Indian Pale Ale)

krausen and kraeusen are both correct (not krauesen, more accurate than "foamy stuff in the fermenter")

kegerator (not technically a word, but that's the accepted spelling)

label (not lable)

nitrogen, abbr. N2 (not nitrigen, not nitrous, not NOS, not nitrous oxide, not NO2, not N2O...at least for brewing)

oxygen, abbr. O2 (not oxigen)

pH (capitalized just as you see here)

probably (not prolly...I know, sometimes that's on purpose...I still hate it)

protein (not protine or protien)

recipe (not recipie)

recommend / recommendation (one c, two m's)

ridiculous (not rediculous)

Saccharomyces cerevisiae (note the capitalization and italics along with the spelling)

sanitation (not sanatation, and not sterilization unless you're in a clean lab environment)

sanitize (not sanatize, and not sterilize unless you're in a very clean lab environment)

Sanke (not Sankey)

silicone (is the sealant and tubing material; silicon is used in microchips)

siphon and syphon are both correct (no e's or f's)

spigot (not spicket)

sulfur and sulphur are both correct (no e's or o's)

trub (pronounced troob, not spelled that way)

Willamette (not Williamette; pronounced wil-LAM-mit, dammit!)

wort (pronounced wert, but not spelled that way)

yeast strain (not yeast strand)

zinc, abbr. Zn (not zink)

A bit of grammar:

are: a verb, as in: "We are homebrewers."
our: plural possessive, as in: "We love our beer."

chute: a channel, as in: "The laundry chute might lead to another dimension."
shoot: a small, immature plant, as in: "My hop shoots are beginning to grow like crazy!"

desert: a hot, dry place
dessert: what you're always tempted to order after a good dinner

its: possessive form of it, indicates ownership
it's: short for "it is"

lose: opposite of win
loose: opposite of tight

their: possessive form of them, indicates ownership
there: a place, anywhere but here
they're: short for "they are"

to: function word used to denote movement, purpose, or possession
too: same as also
two: the number between one and three

whole: not broken, intact
hole: an opening

your: possessive form of you, indicates ownership
you're: short for "you are"
yore: long ago

Miscellaneous tips:

Thread titles are impossible to edit unless you're a moderator. Always read them a few times before pushing the submit button.

If there's a mistake in your signature, you look dumb every time you post something.

txt spk is rly tuf 2 read - plz avoid it

Choosing a poor font style, size, and color can make things unreadable much in the same way lack of punctuation and capitalization can make this somewhat simple idea difficult to comprehend, ya dig?!

I just quoted you to make sure all those word were added to my spell check dictionary;)

Not specific to brewing, but I see the word "commercial" spelled incorrectly ("commerical") a lot on here.

DaveyBoy said:
Not specific to brewing, but I see the word "commercial" spelled incorrectly ("commerical") a lot on here.
Added. As long as there's interest, I'll babysit the thread and add new words to the original post.

I see the to, too and two thing quite a bit. ...and the their there and they're thing too. Too bad you can't add those because they're use sensitive.

Meh... I'm going to keep using "prolly"...

On the pronunciation front, The Good Kaiser did correct me on one thing "vorlauf" = "wor-lauf".

Sause, can you educate everyone on the proper use of commas?

Here's a trick on the its/it's: if you can replace is with "his", use "its".

How about people who use the word "alot" when they mean "a lot".

Finally, never end a sentence in a preposition (at, for, on, etc).

Bike N Brew said:
And not "carbinate" or "carbination"

Also, "definate" is a big favorite around here, though it's definitely wrong.

Yeah I'd DEFINITELY agree with that one. Although not beer related, it is probably the most commonly misspelled word on any forum...

Yuri, you are my hero. Thank you, the spelling and grammar errors around here are getting rediculous...uh...hehe...ridiculous. ;) That's another one. RIdiculous, not REdiculous. Just think, "ridicule", not "redicule".

Another thing that might help is if more people used Firefox v2 for their browser. It's got spelling error check built into posting text boxes like this one; spelling errors are underlined in red just like in MS Word, etc., and when you right click on it, it gives you a list of possible fixes. Not sure if IE does this because I never use it, but I know Firefox v2 does.

Its weird not wierd
Its colour not color
Its favourite not favorite
Its honour not honor
Its centre not center
Its metre not meter
Its theatre not theater

No Zs no double LLs and most of all no OGs!!!
Its analyse not analyze
Its fulfil not fulfill
Its analogue not analog

No lazy spelling!
Its encylycopaedia not encylopedia
Its manoeuvre not maneuver

No CKs or Ks its que!
Its cheque not check - check means somthing completely different from cheque!

Its -ence not -enze
defence not defense
licence not license

and a few misc ones:
Computer program, television programme
Plough not plow
Tyre not tire
Draught not draft
Jewellery not Jewelry
Pyjamas not Pajamas - this is an Indian word for goodness sake! how can you americani(z)e that!
The list goes on....

Why in 'American English' has the language been twisted? Why has it changed? Responces please :D

Orfy runs away..........

Cheesefood said:
[N]ever end a sentence in a preposition (at, for, on, etc).

A dangling preposition is the sort of error up with which we will not put.

Use of the past tense in place of the subjunctive mood drives me up a wall. If I was to say it like this, it would be wrong.

Cheesefood said:
Finally, never end a sentence in a preposition (at, for, on, etc).

We've got an old joke here in C-ville...to really get it, you have to understand that the stereotypical Virginia Tech guy (that's me, uh heuh heuh heuh) is a stupid hillbilly, and the stereotypical UVa guy is a preppy prick who wears bowties to football games. So a guy from Tech is visiting C-ville and is walking down Rugby road. He's lost, so he asks a Virginia student, "Hey, where's the Rotunda at?". The Virginia guy turns up his nose and says, "ugh, you must never end a sentence with a proposition!" So the Tech guy replies, "Alright, where's the Rotunda at, *******. :D

Yuri_Rage said:
Run, goblin, run!

I think we can agree to disagree in almost all cases where American and "proper" English collide.

There's little disagreement here: the brits can keep their "favourite colour" :rockin:

Yeah, Firefox rocks-right click saves me from having to manually correct my poor typing. I spell just fine but I type nasty.

When I am not spelling correctly, I am trying NOT to. Sorta more like we was sitting down together and being a bit silly drunk. :mug:

orfy said:

Orfy runs away..........

LOL Orfy that's good but you forgot one: You Brits tend to use "an" instead of "a" in front of an h-word.

Example:

Brits: An historic day
Americans: A historic day

BTW Yuri that reminds me, here's another one for you: it's historic, not historical:)

Evan! said:
Another thing that might help is if more people used Firefox v2 for their browser. It's got spelling error check built into posting text boxes like this one; spelling errors are underlined in red just like in MS Word, etc., and when you right click on it, it gives you a list of possible fixes. Not sure if IE does this because I never use it, but I know Firefox v2 does.

Apparently that's an add on, Evan!. My browser wasn't doing it so I searched and found the dictionaries. It was a small download and now I'm all set up. Thanks for that.

Bernie Brewer said:
BTW Yuri that reminds me, here's another one for you: it's historic, not historical:)
Actually, the Random House dictionary cites both as correct, though I tend to agree that "historic" is the better option in most cases.

It is not oxegyn either.

This may be on the geeky side of things, but it really bugs me. When using binomial nomenclature of a genus & species, the genus is capitalized, the species is not.

i.e. Saccharomyces cerevisiae or S. cerevisiae, not Saccharomyces Cerevisiae or saccharomyces cerevisiae

rdwj said:
I see the to, too and two thing quite a bit. ...and the their there and they're thing too. Too bad you can't add those because they're use sensitive.

Thank you, the whole "There, Their, They're" thing drives me bonkers for some reason...

Fingers said:
its - possessive pronoun. That which belongs to it.
it's - contraction. Short for it is.

So which is "It"? ;)

3414-02-its-man-beach.jpg

Ize

How is "Fuggle" pronounced? Is it foogle, or is it pronounced like juggle?
Another one I have heard is Muntons dry yeast pronounced moontons??

If Foogle is proper, can I call a bubble a booble and juggle, joogle?

:D

uhlee1 said:
Seeing as they're all UK products, I think you're safe to assume fuggle is like juggle, and Munton's is like Bunsens.

uhlee1 said:

If Foogle is proper, can I call a bubble a booble and juggle, joogle?

:D

It's fuh and muh not foo and moo

Back