New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > HBT.com homebrew competition?

View Poll Results: So, any interest?
Yeah 24 68.57%
Nah 5 14.29%
Only if Ralph plays 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 341 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default HBT.com homebrew competition?

I think it was Todd_K who proposed this idea in the "Resolutions for 2007" thread, so I'll give him his props first.

Toot got me thinking about this with the whole "Lobuck / $3.41/gallon" proposed homebrew contest.

What I think we should do is have a full-bore homebrew competition this year. Target the middle part of the year, maybe May 31st or June 30th, for a deadline, so that people have time to develop recipes, experiment, do lagering, etc. This would also give time to maybe get some prizes together, maybe try and get mentioned on some podcasts, get the word out generally.

Include the "Lobuck" competition as a separate category; "Beers Costing Less Than $10 Per Batch". To really do that right, people are going to need a lot of time to play around with recipes and procedures. No other major rules other than defining what gets included in cost. A style must be specified, and each "Lobuck" beer is judged versus its style, with one winner. Define two price limits, one for AG, one for extract, otherwise, leave that as open-ended as possible.

Judge more-or-less according to established guidelines, but with common sense applied as well. Stouts versus stouts, pale ales versus pale ales, etc.

Twist the arms of some of the respected folk around here to act as judges; BrewPastor, I'm sure, would be more than happy to judge all wheat and Belgian-style entries.

Perhaps in lieu of an entry fee, participants must be paying members of HBT?

I've never sent beer to a competition, I've never been involved in a competition, so I don't know everything that would be involved. But, I'd be more than happy to do whatever was necessary to get something going.

Any thoughts? Take Toot's idea and make it BIGGER?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Last edited by the_bird; 12-29-2006 at 02:59 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 584 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Awesome. And instead of creating a set of rules amongst ourselves (proving to be a PITA in the Lobuck threads), we can steal rules from already established competitions.

What are the stakes? Pride? Lifetime Membership upgrades (TxBrew?)? If we decide on an entry fee, there could be cash and/or brewquipment prizes...

Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does anybody know the laws on sending beers from Australia to America?

I can always judge my own beers and sent you the results! I will be a harsh, harsh but fair critic.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-29-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Um, no thanks.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-29-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibby33
Does anybody know the laws on sending beers from Australia to America?

I can always judge my own beers and sent you the results! I will be a harsh, harsh but fair critic.
I do know there's some customs rule that states all beer must pass through a central customs agency:

Orpheus
592 Steeple Road
Lancaster, PA

This is a great idea. I would never enter beer into a competition, but to be honest, I'd have no trouble submitting one to this one. Everyone here is so supportive and great that it'd be more like sending brews to friends for kicks.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

That's the thing. I would expect that whoever we would nominate to be our judges, we would trust that that the beer's taste would be the dominant factor, as long as it basically held true to the style's parameters.

As to the entry fee question - I'd propose a stainless steel conical as a prize; something that we all covet, but that so very few of us can justify making the investment in.

We'd have to figure out how to best get the beer fairly judged; maybe convene panels of folks in different regions to judge the beers together, so that we could get an average score?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 AM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Generally, getting things done over the internet is like herding cats. It's not a very good medium for this type of mass collaboration. It's far too democratic of a system.

Let me tell you. The reason I believe that the Lobuck Challenge will work is that I am running it more or less like a dictator. I am taking peoples suggestions and listening honestly, but then I drop the hammer and make a decision. Fortunately, it's easy with the Lobuck challenge because no grown man is going to take it *too* seriously and that keeps arguments and disagreements to a minimum. But you're still seeing them pop up from time to time, aren't you? Fortunately, I'm not taking it too seriously either. Just seriously enough, I think.

If you wanted anything like this to have a chance of succeeding, you would have to nominate about 3 people to make all the decisions and do all the work and basically tell everybody else what to do. If you let everybody in on the process and take everyone's suggestions, it will never come to fruition. In other words, you need to let people do the work they are willing to do and trust that they will do a good job with minimal supervision or input from the masses.

Every time someone "on the outside" throws out a suggestion and it gets rejected, they will turn into a nay-sayer and start to talk about why your idea is stupid. Once you get about 10 of those people publicly posting that your idea sucks, everybody else who was on the fence will start to think that there is a group of members out there who don't care about your effort. All of a sudden, they don't need to join in to be "a part of something"... they can do nothing and "be a part of that". And it's a lot easier to do nothing so most of them will. From there, it will start to falter.

You really have to keep things positive and, in my experience, that means that the bigger your aspirations, the less public they should be. The rules shouldn't be debated, they should be dictated... and so forth.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 12-29-2006 at 04:00 AM.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 AM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Yeah, but you can't compare us to the average place on the Internet. We got the Secret Santa off the ground in virtually no time at all (granted, a very small project). There's a great deal of trust in the people here. The "dictator" approach doesn't really go with the whole vibe of this place.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Why not utilize the AHA nations and have people submit their result to HBT and see who pulls the highest scores? That way the AHA does all the work and we simply celebrate the results. Something along those lines perhaps?

Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I have no idea how that works. The problem that I can imagine is that so many people don't like how most homebrew competitions are judged. The example that I used was that people's experienced seemed to be that homebrew contests were like dog shows, the dog is judged whether it meets the "breed standard" rather than whether it liked to curl up on your feet on a cold night.

I'd rather have people judging the beers on whether they really TASTE good (granted, very subjective) rather than whether they strictly fit all the parameters for the style and are completely devoid of any "flaws."

Quick Reply