Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Haze Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
vicg12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Haze Beer

Hello all. Let me tell you all what I'm trying to do. Although it seems that most home brewers are trying to get the cloudy haze out of their brews, I want to do the exact opposite. I really like cloudy beers, I think they look awesome. Last summer, I was on vacation in Ocean City, Maryland and had lunch at a BBQ place there, think it was called Station 7 or something like that. I ordered a wheat beer and it was absolutely gorgeous. Bright golden color with such a cloudy haze that I could not see my hand on the other side of the pint glass, alas I can't not for the life of me remember what it was called .
So I want to make something similar. I want to make a honey-wheat beer and I threw together a recipe with cloudiness being my number one goal. Let me know what you think, if I should change anything, or if I'm just damn crazy.

5 lbs white wheat
1.5 lbs Pale 6-row
1 lbs torrified wheat
1 lbs flaked wheat
1 lbs torrified barley
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
1 lbs Rice Hulls

1 oz Hallertau 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau 5 min
0.5 Tettnang 5 min

1 oz Lemon peel 15 min

Yeast - White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

Dry hop w/ 2 oz Amarillo
(all hop additions will be pellets)

Also plan on using orange blossom honey as my priming sugar.

My idea is, wheat = cloudy so lots of wheat, protein = cloudy, use malts high in protein, low flocculation = cloudy, use yeast with that characteristic, pectin from boil fruit adds cloudiness, citrus peel has highest amount of pectin, hence lemon peel, plus I think it will taste great!.

Any other ideas on how to add to the haze please let me know!

Also considered putting pure pectin right in, since you can buy it as the grocery store because it is used to gel up jam. But I have no idea how much to use, and I wouldn't want to make a think jelly beer, yuck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
vicg12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

OK so I've done a little more research and I have decided to try a turbid mash for this brew, oh boy! Also I have changed my recipe a little bit. Adding more rawish wheat and I'm going to add a table spoon of wheat flour with 10 mins left in my boil. New recipe follows.

3 lbs white wheat
1.5 lbs Pale 6-row
2 lbs torrified wheat
2 lbs flaked wheat
1 lbs torrified barley
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
1 lbs Rice Hulls

1 oz Hallertau 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau 5 min
0.5 Tettnang 5 min

1 oz Lemon peel 15 min
1 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour(shifted) 10 min

Yeast - White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

Dry hop w/ 2 oz Amarillo
(all hop additions will be pellets)

Also plan on using orange blossom honey as my priming sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 238

That tablespoon of flour at the end of the boil should leave you with a starch haze that won't go away. It's in the recipe for some of the wheat beers.

Quick Reply