New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Have you found "The" beer to end all beers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
BaldManBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Have you found "The" beer to end all beers

Have you found your favorite beer? Is there one? Is it even possible? With so many different types of malts, hops and other additions, there is a limitless potential of combinations.

To me, finding my favorite beer, is kind of like searching for the Holy Grail. It may be out there, yet is surrounded with mystery. It maintains such an elusiveness that one can only pour another cold one, and reflect on their journey.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I have a lot of beers that I like. But no favorite. I still stop by the liqour store and browse. They have over a 1000 different bottles, so it'll take a while for me to get board...

Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 160

For me, variety is king, so, no. I hope I never do. The prospect of something new and different to temp my tastebuds is what makes it all so exciting.

Gosh, I hope my finacee doesn't read this and get any wrong ideas!

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My fav's change every few months or so. Started by loving the crazy Belgians, then moved to IPA. Hated the Belgians for a few months (still cant stand 3 Philosophers lately - blasphemy I know!), but now can drink a few lighter Belgians without getting a headache. Hate hoppy beers now (except Sam Smith IPA, or Twisted Thistle) and have been on a German kick lately. Fill my coffin with simple Hefe when I die. Yum!

So I guess I'm kind of a gutter slut when it comes to "favorite" beer. I fall in love quickly, then burn out and move on.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Gosh, I hope my finacee doesn't read this and get any wrong ideas!
I lol'ed. And I hate "lol"...

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Limit me to 10 beers and I will muddle through somehow, though still missing the variety.

(perhaps Anchor Steam, Ballast Point Sculpin, Orval, Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek, Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout, Lost Abbey Red Poppy, Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, Bell's Two-Hearted, Augustiner Helles, St Bernardus Abt 12, and Cigar City Hunahpu's...ask again in 10 minutes and the list will change)

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
xsists
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think there is such a thing. I mean variety is the spice of life right?

I mean, I have a fall back beer (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I simply love it and its normally readily available) but I couldn't just drink it all the time. If I go somewhere and thats all they got, I won't complain but it won't be my first choice right away. I love going to the liquor store and just picking up a bunch of different bottles and trying them, why would I just stick to one?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Whut
.--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.- . . .--. / ..- .--.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1614 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 8530

So many beers, so little time!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My favorite beer is the one I have never tried.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've yet to come up with one brew to rule them all... There are brews that are higher on the list of those I like/drink, but I've yet to brew one that will be the top dog...

I do like different types depending on the season... Well, mostly... I'll almost always go for a good stout/porter, even in the middle of a heat-wave. I do lean more towards full bodied brews, not caring for the light stuff. A solid ale is always welcome, not really going for the IPA's (or IIPA, or high bitterness brews)...

So far, what I've been brewing has been smooth enough to be easy enough to drink that you get hammered without realizing it. I am planning on making a strong cream ale in another month, or two, for more of a spring time brew... As soon as I can come up with a solid barleywine, I'll be brewing up some... I figure if I start that in the next month, or so, it could be ready for drinking come fall/winter of this year (so maybe around Thanksgiving time)... I am itching to make a braggot too... One that will drop-kick you into next week if you have too many (or more than a couple).

Quick Reply