Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Have you ever lost a batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Have you ever lost a batch?

I think I may have lost a batch of beer. If so this is the first time it has ever happened. I see people starting threads all the time worrying about whether they will lose a particular batch but I don't remember seeing this exact issue.

So for background: Last last October 5th I bottled a batch of really dark toasty English Brown. I tried a few bottles over the couple months after bottling and it was decent. Not great but decent. Problem was it was really closer to a stout than a brown and whenever I tried it I was always more in the mood for a brown than a stout.

So I kind of pushed the batch off to the side.

Now I can't find it. I have literally lost this batch of beer. I had to look into my brewing notes to confirm the fact that I actually did brew this batch. There it is. I know I have not had more than 12 of these beers so there is at least a case and a half somewhere in my basement.

So has anyone else lost a batch of beer this way?

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You've also found some single bottles you have misplaced if I recall...

You have beer fairies and they and they like to f-with you...or maybe they took this batch in tribute for good fermentations.

But I hope it's not beer elves, they are evil.

Beer fairies- Hot.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4828 Times on 4431 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Talk about yeast infection!

That is a foam you definitely want to fear!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Not personally, but when I went down to CA to pick up my brewing gear, there were two cornies tucked in the fermentation cabinet - almost two years old.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Just a month ago, I found a whole case of my first all-grain batch from late 2003. I know Revvy says to give it time and bad beer will improve, but 6 years may be overdoing it a touch. The beer was (and still is) awful.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 243 Posts

I have never lost a batch, but I have a few bottles lying around with no labels. They kind of get "lost in the shuffle". I have no clue what they are...and could even be cider. I wait till I'm in the mood for a surprise, then open one up. It's actually quite fun haha

They are all from early batches, I label them all now. So it is no longer an issue

Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

I am obsessing on this now. There are two batches that are missing. One of them was a dumper that had a gallon of iodophor solution in it. It tasted like metal. I never got around to dumping it. The second is the brown I mentioned. Three cases total.

I am sure they are not in the basement. I have looked three times. This means something bad. No joke. I hope I'm wrong but I think I may have been robbed by someone. Someone in particular. WTF?!? there is only one person who can walk in my house while I am not here and not lose a chunk of his body to my dog.

I am not sure whether to even mention this to my wife. She already finds this guy creepy and hates to see him in the house.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Craigster
Recipes 

Maybe your wife drank it? :P

Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Selfsufficient
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Talk about yeast infection!

That is a foam you definitely want to fear!
I spit beer, you owe me now!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
I have never lost a batch, but I have a few bottles lying around with no labels. They kind of get "lost in the shuffle". I have no clue what they are...and could even be cider. I wait till I'm in the mood for a surprise, then open one up. It's actually quite fun haha

They are all from early batches, I label them all now. So it is no longer an issue

I have an entire KEG in my beer fridge that is a complete mystery. I must have forgotten to label it when I kegged it, and now I don't remember what it is! The only way to find out is to tap it. Whatever it is, it's next in line.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply