have you ever got anyone else into brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniels

Reaction score
ive brewed for sometime now and know of a few other brewers but for some reason ive never been able to get anyone into the next step. i know some are very interested but for one reason or another they never jump. im ventinting i know but damn it would be nice to swap beer around with others then to be a one way street.

My wife's family commissioned me to make 30 gal of mead for a party last summer. They paid for all the ingredients, including an extra primary bucket and 2 new glass carboys.

I decided to give the primary and one carboy to my brother as a birthday present, and took him to the LHBS to pick out some basic gear. We just bottled his first kit, a Cream Ale, last week.

I live in Japan and it's darned hard to get good beer here that doesn't break the bank. I started brewing my own and now that I'm leaving early next year my buddy is going to acquire all of my brew gear since he wants to keep the good beer and his money.

It's a good feeling!

I turned a buddy onto it, as he got his basic equipment kit as a gift. We brewed a batch of NB's TCan and Bearcats Wheaten Beatdown that turned out awesome... But he hasn't said anything about brewing another batch.... Shame really.

I'm a beginning brewer myself but I already have a protege! It started by me giving him a sample of each brew I did. That brought on more conversation. Eventually, he picked up a starter kit. I've helped him out on his first 2 brews. Now we exchange and talk about brews once a week or so. Kinda cool.

I have a co-worker that after hearing me talk about it, and trying the beers I've made, has jumped in with both feet and hasn't looked back...

When my sister heard that I had started brewing, she bought a starter kit from Midwest Supplies. She came to visit me last weekend so she could watch a brew day and get tips. Her first brew went into the fermenting bucket last night!

I think her favorite part is drinking hot scotchies during the one-hour boil.

Yup, just this year, through e-mail, I taught my long lost friend Kaz from Japan how to make his own hard apple cider. Now that I have a new iMac, and he has a iPhone 4s, I get to see his face turn red when he gets drunk on FaceTime!

I have just one friend who brews. I actually met him on this forum. He found some wild hops in his yard, and googled them and found this forum. He sent me a PM, and I invited him over for a brewday and to show him my hops in my yard. I told him to bring some of his vine and hops over and maybe I could help him identify them.

We became really good friends, and I really value our friendship. We talk and email often, even if we don't get together all that often.

Of course, he just happened to be an electrical engineer with an electrical supply company so he encouraged my indoor brewing efforts and ended up costing me about $3000 or so. I blame him.

He built my second control panel, actually, and it's awesome! :ban:

I have a longish list.
My brother
Brother in law
Three coworkers
And a few friends

We actually host a party every year to promote the craft and end up getting people at least curious

I have been brewing about 2 1/2 years. I have turned three friends into craft beer geeks and two of them are brewing with me. I have a fairly sweet set up at my house just got it set up about 2 months ago and we have nocked out 80gal since then. Three weeks ago I had one friend come over and do his first AG batch a Tank 7 clone he got off homebrewtalk the next week he called wanting to know what i thought about mash tun's. Total I have 9 right now and 2 coming over on thursday to see how it work

My best friend from college is just as into craft beer as myself. I live in Chicago, he lives in St. Louis. But lucky me, his girlfriend lives in Chicago now so he is trying to move here asap. And...... he just got a homebrew kit. He'll be on this forum in no time! Can't wait to start swapping beers and getting twice the experience in the same amount of time.

Helped a friend do a Mr. Beer, but it really wasn't any good. I have another friend I told I would give my entire all-grain setup to (built a new system) but he has yet to take up the gear. I am still holding out hope, cause I would love to pass around homebrews with my friends instead of just giving them homebrews. ;)

I got one of my neighbors started. We had a block party and I brought some homebrew. He really liked the brews I brought and said he has always been interested in trying it, so I had him come over on a brew day to watch and he went out the next day and got the equipment.
:mug:

One Brother
One Friend
One Student
I have a few additional marks who will be flipped when the time is right.

I started brewing with my brother we recruited my brothers roommate and one other person. We brew together so they haven't branched out to try it themselves. Although most brew days its me brewing and everyone else watches football. They enjoy the product but they don't share my passion for the brewing process.

By the time our state return came in this year,my wife insisted on going into the LHBS with me this time. She started looking at all the extract kits,so I told her to pick out something she might like. She chose the BB summer ale kit (said to be a shocl top clone). She nailed her steep temps & everything. She just bottled her second,a SA summer ale clone a month ago. So that's one for me.

Hmmm, Sounds meant to be.

Ne way, no, all my friends that want to " start brewing " end up being "judges" instead.......

My son is the one that got me into brewing. He's been extract brewing for about two years and the wife and I went to visit over Thanksgiving (we're in WA and he is in GA). While we were there we built a mash tun, bought a turkey fryer for $30 on black Friday and brewed an AG Mac & Jack. He just kegged it and I'm waiting for a report!

Used to be a boarding school teacher in a tiny town, turned four other teachers on campus on to brewing... i've since left to brew professionally, but still keep in touch with two of them about our homebrews...

I got my neighbor started ..his FIRST batch was better than mine (of course ..he had my help ..REALLY it wasn't ...) ..or Was it???
What ever ..he loved it and has brewed several batches since
:mug: :ban: :fro:
:mug::mug: We're having a PARTY:ban:
:rockin: :fro::mug:

:drunk:

It took me a year to get a friend to start brewing. I finally got him to due it by bringing everything over to his house so he didn't have to buy everything. He called me today to make sure that he has all his bottles ready so that we can bottle this weekend. The best part is he wanted to know if I would bring everything over so he can brew another. I'm pumped.

Back