Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Have you ever been embarassed making an alcohol purchase?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
CatHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Have you ever been embarassed making an alcohol purchase?

I believe today was my first time being truly embarrased purchasing beer/wine/liquor. When I was young I drank everything from Falls City to Mad Dog 20/20 but it was OK then because I was young, poor, and getting drunk and puking was actually kind of a status builder. As I have aged I tend to buy at least mid priced alcoholic beverages because my head, kidneys, and stomach all appreciate the extra couple bucks. However recently I decided to branch out from brewing beer to wine/mead and needed a gallon jug and being a 100 miles from the nearest homebrew shop you can guess what I decided to do....yep, ol Carlo Rossi to the rescue. I bought the big four liter jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria today and I had a hard time looking at the girl checking me out. I was afraid I would either laugh uncontrollably or pulling a McLovin. BTW mixed with some Ginger Ale it isn't bad but I am trying to pace myself because I fear a drunk on this stuff will result in a lost Saturday because I will refuse to leave the bed.

So have you ever been embarrassed walking up to the counter with some really bad and/or cheap alcohohol.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

In college I always bought craft beer at the same grocery store. Good prices and selection... and not too far from my apartment. Then one day my girl friend wanted me to buy her wine coolers. Approaching the register was a definite walk of shame. When I tell the story, I always say that the cashier laughed at me... at this point I'm not sure if he actually did or not.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Egh, buying wine coolers or Mike's for SWMBO is like picking up... ahem... feminine hygiene products for her. The first time you will be beet red, trying to hide them under the other crap in your cart, but after a while you just don't give a $hit.

People Like This 
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
kwadric
Recipes 

There is no pride like the pride of a 22 year old, for sure. On the other hand, it was the first and last time I bought wine coolers.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
CatHead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzycist View Post
Egh, buying wine coolers or Mike's for SWMBO is like picking up... ahem... feminine hygiene products for her. The first time you will be beet red, trying to hide them under the other crap in your cart, but after a while you just don't give a $hit.
I hate to admit this I actually kind of like Mike's. I usually pick them up for her unless it is really hot and I am drinking outside but I actually hope she leaves a couple of those behind for too long. Those and Smirmoff Triple Black's are pretty good for what they are.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
CatHead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwadric View Post
In college I always bought craft beer at the same grocery store. Good prices and selection... and not too far from my apartment. Then one day my girl friend wanted me to buy her wine coolers. Approaching the register was a definite walk of shame. When I tell the story, I always say that the cashier laughed at me... at this point I'm not sure if he actually did or not.
Yeah I am not a big fan of buying wine coolers but I always assume(hope) they know those are for my wife. Lately she has been on a kick for those Bacardi mixed drink things which seems to not be too bad in the walk of shame category.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
kwadric
Recipes 

I'm never embarrassed when I walk out with a forty of Miller High Life... although I only go to stores where they don't know me, so maybe that says something different

Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use everclear to clean some things and I always feel ashamed when I buy it. I tell the clerk how its not for drinking, just cleaning and I'm sure they just think I'm a raging alcoholic.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
RacingRam
Not left handed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Buying girly drinks is equivalent to buying condoms...embarrassing, but at least you're getting laid! (or hoping to at least)

• You know what they say: beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before pain killers and muscle relaxers, teepee town barbecue sound!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
CatHead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrim View Post
I use everclear to clean some things and I always feel ashamed when I buy it. I tell the clerk how its not for drinking, just cleaning and I'm sure they just think I'm a raging alcoholic.
I drank Everclear a couple times when I was young (under 21). I figured out it was not for me after breaking my rearview AND sideview mirror and putting a huge dent in the hood of my car. Then passing out on the hood and spending the better part of the night asleep on the hood. Why did I do it you ask? No idea.

Quick Reply