Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Have you become a beer snob?

View Poll Results: Are you a beer snob
No, I prefer a Factory made beer over my own 1 1.35%
Maybe, I am split down the middle 51 68.92%
I only drink beers with a label to find the next beer I am going to clone 17 22.97%
Yes, I have not had a beer other than my own in quite some time 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Have you become a beer snob?

So I went to Bevmo this weekend because I had to return a keg of SNPA that I had forever from a friend giving it to me to finish off.

Anyways, I was doing a little shopping as I also had a gift certificate there and I found myself having a really tough time finding something that I wanted will all of their selection. I know it's not huge, but it is a descent selection. I find myself looking at beers that I have liked for a long time and thinking, I really don't feel like that or don't want it anymore while thinking, I can brew that, there is no sense in buying it.

I saw that New Belguim had a beer that I had never had, a Pale Ale, forget the name though and Lost Coasts, Great White was on sale, but ended up saying no to that too. Anyways, I ended up with a couple of German beers as I wanted to try a Amber lager and I forget the other one of course, and I also got some Full Sale Amber as I really felt like an Amber that day. After the first drink, I thought to myself, this doesn't taste as good as I remember

So, are you a beer snob?

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1106

Definitely. Although I can drink just about anything, I recently bought a 12 pack of Bass that I used to think had a great flavor. Now not so much. Yeah, I still drink it, but I'm more into American hops now and Bass just isn't that yummy like it was last year.

I'm not up to the point where I am confident that I can brew lots of different beers as good as I can buy them, but I certainly can brew some things better than others.

My tongue is still a bit sore from when we went to the bar and grill and the waitress said they have pretty much all the beers. They have maybe 3 beers that I'd order without getting upset and none that I would be happy about. Well, Sam Adam's Winter Lager is actually pretty good.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't answer that. I want the option for no. I drink a lot of beer and love my homebrew.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Not a snob at all. I just prefer my own beer. I have several commercial in the fridge and they always get passed up for my own.

When I do shop, I only pick up something I have either not tried or don;t remember trying it. And I am not above getting a Bud at restaurant.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Definitely a beer snob, but i don't think those choices are any that describes a beer snob. My beer's don't compare to my favorite commercials. I'm no where close to brewing Chimay, Rochefort, Orval, ect, but just cause I can't personally brew it doesn't mean I'm not a self proclaimed beer snob, But not the kind to put down other people's beer choices. Thats just being a dick.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Your right, snob is a pretty harsh word, I mean we all love beer, some more than others. Maybe I should change it to "are you a beer connoisseur?"

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I was for the first 6 months of homebrewing, thats when I scoffed at BMC crap and really started to turn my nose up. Since then I have come to appreciate all beers, yes even some of the BMC offerings. Beer is wonderful, I love the hobby and love the community. I consider myself a "Beer Advocate" more then anything else. (yes I know of the site)

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I guess the answer is yes.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
ceannt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My wife says I am.......
We went out to eat a while back, I asked the waiter what they had on tap..... "everything" he says.... should have seen the look on his face when I asked for 20 beers they didn't have....

Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I find that I have become quite the opposite of a snob. I've known guys that think bud or miller is the best thing out there and that it is not worth their time to try any other type of beer. I try to enjoy all sorts of styles, some styles I just don't care for, others I love and try to brew.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Last edited by conpewter; 03-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply