Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Have I turned into a HopHead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
imlvngded
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Have I turned into a HopHead?

About 1 month ago I thought IPAs were horrid. After some prodding by my brother, who is a huge Victory Hop Devil fan, I finished a 6er of Hop Devil. By the third one the shock was gone. I would never even consider drinking a beer over 30 IBU. Now I find myself buying Stone Ruination and savoring every drop. Delicious! Am I becoming a HopHead?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The word is "became"

Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's a phase, it happens. I brewed nothing but pales and ips'a for a year straight, I got burned out on hops. Now im doing porters, maibocks, dopplebocks,and other such non hoppy beers.

Although I do still keep one hop monster around.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It's a phase most homebrewers and craft beer drinkers go through.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Welcome to the club brotha!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Neonsilver
Recipes 

I love hops too but I try to keep my brewing all over the place. I have a hefe, a stour, a blueberry blonde and a Scottish 80 schilling bottled right now. Last night I made an RIS and this weekend I'll be making a porter and a hop bomb.

The hop bomb is going to have 8 oz of hops and two of those are warrior. The more even I keep things the more selection I have and the more I enjoy my hobby.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome to the fold brotha! I went through my hop awakening about a year ago. I'm more on the aroma/flavor side though. Bitterness is all well and good, but its tough to find good examples that are balanced and don't have a lingering bitterness. For this reason I tend to like double IPAs more than a lot of breweries' regular IPAs because of the huge malt backbone.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
RyanPDX
Recipes 

Being a converted BMC drinker, I was in the same boat. I liked the occasional pale or amber ale, but even Widmier Droptop was about as bitter as I could stand. But over the last year or so since starting homebrewing, I have been forcing myself to try other types of beer. I am now a lover of IPA's. Ruination is still a little too much for me, but I made it through a 22oz bottle. (everything after that tasted like water for the rest of the night)

Primary-IPA - Inversion Clone
Primary - Cream Ale
Primary- Edworts Apfelwein
Secondary -
Bottled - Belgian Wit
Bottled - Belgian Dubbel

Why do all my hobbies involve the BATF?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

It's inevitable. All you have to do is give it a chance.

I did the same thing that WildWest did, got burned out for a bit and started trying some of the darker beers and others. But when I tried a good IPA again, it was love at second sight!

If you can, get your hands on a bottle (or better yet on tap) of Bell's Hopslam.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlvngded View Post
About 1 month ago I thought IPAs were horrid. After some prodding by my brother, who is a huge Victory Hop Devil fan, I finished a 6er of Hop Devil. By the third one the shock was gone. I would never even consider drinking a beer over 30 IBU. Now I find myself buying Stone Ruination and savoring every drop. Delicious! Am I becoming a HopHead?
It happened to me too... I drank an IPA about 2 years ago and thought to myself, "Gah, why would anyone ever drink this stuff?" But about 3 weeks ago, after reading a few threads on HBT, I decided to try a large bottle of Stone IPA, and instantly fell in love with it. Now, I'm craving IPAs, and don't really want to drink much else! I can't wait to drink my first home-brewed IPA!!!

Quick Reply