Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > hate it when

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Donner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default hate it when

Don't you just hate it when you WANT to like a beer you've heard a lot about, but just can't?

I recently had a hoppy amber on a trip and really liked it. Came back, did some research, found Bear Republic's Red Rocket online. Found a bottle of it on a trip to NC over New Years break.

Just finished my bomber of it and i really think i can't stand it. I struggled to finish it. I don't know what it was about it, but something just didn't taste good to me. Something about the finish...

Anyway, i just am really disappointed and bummed because i really did think i'd like it and i just didn't. There goes the plans to make a 5 gallon clone...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

wow I love that beer and the Racer 5 is in my top 5 for IPAs The little we get here in NC from Bear Republic has been stellar. I just wish they would distribute more of thier great beers.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Better to find out now. I've never found myself wanting to like or dislike a beer ahead of time. Occasionally, a beer I wasn't expecting to like, based on people's descriptions turned out to be good.

What I hate, is when a beer I like gets reformulated to something I don't like. Bear Republic's Racer X seems to be good, bad, good, huh? (as in what happened).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i bought a 12 oz of the racer x in a mix six. I think i just liked the other version of a hoppy amber and figured that red rocket would be even better since it is so highly regarded. Something about it just seemed off. Maybe it was heavier than i wanted. The other version i had could have been lower in alcohol and therefore body... something to consider. Again, it's not the money or anything like that. I don't regret buying it. I just thought i'd like it better based on my previous experience with the style.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with the dog in the bathtub. I make purchases based on recommendations, but I set expectations to zero. I like to objectively critique the beers I drink. Just because everyone seems to think Pliny the Elder is the greatest doesn't mean I'm going to assume that before I try it.

Everything tastes like dog **** until proven otherwise.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
Grimster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We're all different, and we all have our own tastes, otherwise there'd be one brand of beer, and man wouldn't that be boring

Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You may want to try another one just to be sure. I had heard great things about Ballast Point's Sculpin. One day I saw some 20's at the local beer store & grabbed one. When I drank it the next day I thought, geez, what a crappy beer to get so much hype. A couple weeks later I was at Home Brew Mart (in the BP brewery) and saw some in their fridge. I decided to give it another try.

What a difference! Definitely one of the top 5 beers in my line up. I guess I just got a bad bottle that first time - never had a bad one since.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i will likely give it another shot. Finding alternatives within the style will be difficult in the beer hell that is Mississippi.

I don't think i had overly high expectations for this beer. I guess i was more looking forward to drinking it and just disappointed with what it was. I could have just as easily gone in without expectation and had the same disappointment. I really didn't think it even met the basic criteria for an enjoyable beer to me. Which i find odd since i usually enjoy similar beers within a style, even if i don't love them.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

There is a certain beer merchant in the Buffalo area where you can find year old bottles of DFH 60 min, or Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. What made me angry was the possible scenario you have found yourself in. If I had never tried that beer before I bought those, I would have never tried them again. Those beer companies are being misrepresented by a merchant who doesn't seem to know or care that beer is a perishable product.

I pay much closer to bottle dates when applicable. Find a known fresh bottle and try it again, that's a great beer.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #10
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

In 2007, myself and a friend took a trip to the Grand Canyon. At one of the campgrounds along the way, we found that the guy in the campground next to us left a 12'er of PBR under his table. We threw it in our cooler and moved on to the next campground, Capitol Reef state park. It was mid-June and the six hour trip from our previous spot left us pretty well beat. Capitol Reef has a cool stream that runs next to it and we found ourselves sitting in the middle of the stream with the 12'er of PBR. At that moment, that was the best beer in the world. We were hot, tired and wore out. It was awesome.

Anyway, a few weeks after I got back, I picked up a 12'er of PBR because of how good it was! I couldn't stand it... Absolutely horrible. Most of that 12'er sat in the refrigerator for months before I could kill it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Quick Reply