Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Has How to Brew been hacked?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Default Has How to Brew been hacked?

I just tried to go to How to Brew - By John Palmer and I got a "this site may harm your computer" warning, I even got it when I tried to go in through google.

Anyone else getting it?

Actually it may be a google error and NOT the actually site...

I just clicked the link I posted fine...but going in from a google link crashes google.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I went to that site with no problems. I have Norton Internet Security 2008. I have the Web of Trust add on for Firefox, and it rates the site as excellent.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's a google problem. Search for anything and that happens, they must have some software issues going on.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=home+brew+talk&btnG=Search

Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Google, I had the same thing. Evertyhing i searched came up "harmful" I had to use yahoo to search.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 01-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Thanks guys....I remember that Ratebeer did get attacked a few months back...so I found it odd...

SO did someone hack teh Googlez???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Memorex88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I got the same thing searching Beersmith about the same time ago. I think Google had an issue and it's fixed now.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
egurney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I seached for 'Google' on Google and it came up as 'may be harmful'. I thought that was pretty funny.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

It's a google bug as others have said. Just edit the google portion out of the URL.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egurney View Post
I seached for 'Google' on Google and it came up as 'may be harmful'. I thought that was pretty funny.
I did that too!!!

LOL

Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Here's what I just found...

Has Google Been Hacked? 'This Site May Harm Your Computer' Appears on All Search Results - mediabistro.com: FishbowlNY

Quote:
Saturday, Jan 31
Has Google Been Hacked? 'This Site May Harm Your Computer' Appears on All Search Results

Currently all searches on Google appear with the warning message "This site may harm your computer."

Only two links pop up in a search for news on the topic [more now]: one from a site called Thaindian News, which says,

"At roughly 9:40 pm on 31st Jan 2008 (Thai time GMT +7), any search result on google.com showed the message "This site may harm your computer" for all websites including thaindian.com

We wish to reassure users that thaindian.com does not indulge in these activities and this is a goof up by Google affecting all websites.

And one from iTwire.com, which currently won't load. Meanwhile Twitter is all over it! Is this the result of a hacking, or a glitch, or merely some formal announcement that Google is officially stepping into its role as Big Brother?
Google Flags Whole Internet As Malware

Quote:
Google Flags Whole Internet As Malware

We’re not quite sure what’s going on, but a couple of minutes ago any search result from Google started being flagged as malware with a message stating “This site may harm your computer”. Including Google’s own website as you can see above.

Twitter is abuzz with people reporting the massive error (also look for tags #googmayharm or #googmayhem), and it’s clear that this is happening around the world. Apparently, it’s happening with any browser on any platform too.

Clicking the message takes people to a support page from Google (image below), but this is being bombarded with millions of people right now so it’s very slow to respond. I saw the page briefly, and it pointed to StopBadware.org (which is obviously also loading slowly or not at all right now).

Update: it seems to be fixing itself. I’m having no more issues on Google Belgium, still getting warning messages for malicious software when I search Google.com. Also, it only seems to occur when you’re searching as a signed-in user now.

Update 2: it seems to be fine now. Lasted about 15 minutes. You can take a deep breath now and go on with whatever you were doing before

Now we just have to wait for Google to tell us what went wrong. It’s quite clear that a meltdown of this size, no matter how short it was, will be the topic of discussion for the coming days (and not only at the Googleplex, I’d wager).

Quick Reply