Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Has this ever happened to you and am I a beer snob?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Has this ever happened to you and am I a beer snob?

So my lady and I are eating at a small chain pizza place with a pretty decent draft beer selection. I order a French Broad Brewing Company Altbier (which I've never had) and she gets a Victory Hopdevil. The waiter, a friendly college age kid, brings out two very hoppy IPAs. After tasting mine, I ask him if he brought out two Hopdevils by mistake, and he says no, that mine is the altbier. I was doubtful, but I thought maybe the folks at French Broad brewing took some creative license. For my next beer I order a Rogue Dead Guy (which I've had many times) and he brings out an orange/red, very tart, almost lambic beer. I told him that I believed that he poured me a beer from the Rogue Dead Guy tap, but that this wasn't it. He was very polite, but I could tell that he was thinking what a tool I was. Has this type of thing ever happened to you, and how big of a deal did you make of it? Am I being a beer penis?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post
Am I being a beer penis?
Beer doesn't have a penis. Yeast reproduce asexually.

I ordered, very specifically, a pint of Guinness at an Applebee's recently. The waitress brought me a bottle of Guinness and no glass. I flagged down a manager, who asked me why it mattered. It took a bit of restraint to not just break the bottle over his head, but I eventually settled on telling him that a pint was 16 ounces, and that the bottle was only 12. I was polite about it, and he ended up bringing me a glass of Guinness (which was quite a bit larger than 16 ounces) from the tap for free.

However, had the waitress brought me a glass of Killians (Applebee's doesn't have the best beer selection) I would have been pretty pissed.
Oakes Likes This 
Old 04-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You are not a big penis! French Broad Altbier is not overly hoppy like a hopdevil. He probably made a mistake.

I have had that happen to me before here in Asheville when there was a new trainee at the Mellow Mushroom. It wasn't that big of a deal, I ordered a Highland Cold Mountain, and he brought me a Highland Gaelic, wasn't that big of a deal plus I got a free beer.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Primary #1 - Deadringer IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - ???????

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
nothreat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beer Snob?

I have not had exactly this happen, but three times in the past year I have been out to eat and ordered whatever the bar had that was most drinkable (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, whatever) and the waiter brought me what was clearly a Bud. I would ask about it and they always say no, that is a xxxx. I always tell send it back and order a tea instead. This has a happened at different restaurants. I wonder if they don't know, or if they are trying to sell me a $2 beer for $4.50. I wonder how often it works and no one complains.

Nothreat
Primary: None
Secondary: None
On Deck: Amarillo Wheat, Summit Rye, Basic Pale with Zythos hops, Chocolate PB Porter II
Kegged: Delta pale, Chinook Pale
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate PB Porter, American Stout, Honey Walnut Porter

Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
jjayzzone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know what you're drinking, he doesn't.....you might come off as a dick to him, but you're not. I had something similar happen to me at a basketball game. I'm sure to him, I was a complete douche-bag. My dad and I asked him the same thing, "are you sure you have the correct keg connected to the correct tap? This beer tastes like that one...."

Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, on the one hand in a "small chain pizza place" you're probably going to be served by Marvin Sweatsock, whose idea of beer probably begins & ends with Bud Light......so to him beer is beer.
(Parenthetically, you must have a pretty cool "small chain pizza place" if it has ANY of the beers mentioned.)
On the other hand, no matter where you are, you have every expectation of receiving the beer you ordered (and are going to pay for).

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
jjayzzone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And you're just fine, as long as you didn't drink 2/3 of it before complaining about the beer.....

Old 04-16-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Knowing somethig about beer sucks. I dont eat out anymore, since i brew. Its not the same. I remember a simpler time when sam adams was a snazzy snobby beer.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
benko
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's where I know that I am a little obsessed with my beer: I was seriously considering going home and bringing a bottle of Rogue Dead Guy back with me to show him that I wasn't crazy. This is when my lady told me that I was a penis and that she would leave me if I did.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I don't think you were out of line, either, for asking. Its not like you were insistent and rude to him.

IMO, I'd say the kegs weren't connected right or they ran out of the beers you ordered and put another "specialty beer" (at least in their eyes) in its place thinking it didn't really make a difference.

They're usually tell you if they do that, though. usually...

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Quick Reply