Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Has anyone read "Brewing Better Beer: Master Lessons for Advanced Homebrewers"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
ziggy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Has anyone read "Brewing Better Beer: Master Lessons for Advanced Homebrewers"?

Just curious if anyone has read it and if so what did you think? On Amazon most of the reviews are positive but there are a few that say the information is not very "advanced". I'm looking to get some more advanced knowledge in brewing. Here's a link to the book on Amazon: Amazon.com: Brewing Better Beer: Master Lessons for Advanced Homebrewers (9780937381984): Gordon Strong: Books

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I don't know, the first three reviews, especially the first two, who were experienced brewers and scientists, kinda made it sound like a book I would like to read. I mean, they say it's not papazian or palmer, it's NOT a basic book, it really is a look into one guy's (arguably probably one of the to 10 homebrewers out there) process. That sounds like it would be a good deal of information, it sounds like it's about the decisions he makes and why.

It sounds very valuable. I really like the end of the third review I read "If you want a book to tell you what to do, go pick up How to Brew. If you want a book to tell you how to decide for yourself what to do, and how to think about brewing, buy this one. "

Makes me actually want to look into it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

There is a massive, contentious thread on this book somewhere here on HBT...happy hunting!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Lurch69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
"If you want a book to tell you what to do, go pick up How to Brew. If you want a book to tell you how to decide for yourself what to do, and how to think about brewing, buy this one. "
I think that's a very accurate summary of the book. I was able to refine my process as well as add a few new tricks to my hat after reading the book. I definitely enjoyed it. I checked it out from my local library, might be an option for you vs buying it.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys...I'm convinced...hopefully Santa is reading this thread!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
LuxAeterna
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fascinating timing, I just bought this book about a week or two ago. I've skimmed it a bit but hadn't had the chance to dive in. Will probably be digging in much sooner than before, having read this thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the book. I haven't read the whole thing yet but what I have read I have enjoyed. It may not be as advanced as some people think but I feel it has helped me for sure.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have it and have been reading it on and off for a bit. I agree that it doesn't seem all that advanced to me. It is just one person's take on things, so you might like it better, or worse, than I do.

Personally, I think the new Yeast book is more advanced, and has helped me more.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
cram
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found the book helpful, too. Not super advanced, in my opinion, it seems approachable to me and I am not an expert or master homebrewer by any stretch. It does have some good info relating to different styles, decoctions, etc., and some useful graphs and charts. It's a nice accompaniment to Palmer's How to Brew, and goes a few steps beyond on subjects relating to technique. I definitely gleaned some new techniques from the book but Golddiggie is right that Yeast is more technical.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i've read it a couple of times and while it's not the "advanced" book i think a lot of us want, it's still a good read, worth owning.

i'm assuming that the yeast book people are talking about is the one from zainasheff? haven't read it yet...

Quick Reply