New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Has anyone ever bought a commercial beer this this much yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Has anyone ever bought a commercial beer this this much yeast?

I picked up a bottle of local craft beer (won't name names) -- a beer I've had probably 20-30 bottles of in the past month -- and when I poured, it had an incredible amount of suspended sediment. It looked to me almost like the "egg drop" hot break you get with Whirlfloc. It tastes very puckeringly astringent (the classic overbrewed black tea flavour) and is definitely not something I wanted to drink.

I reached out to the brewery, and was put through to the brewmaster; after sending off photos, I received the response that it was "more than normal, but just yeast" and that "because the beer is so popular, we've had to shorten the aging time so the yeast doesn't settle out as much." Apparently they're looking to switch to a different yeast to accomodate this. That was it. (EDIT: rereading the email, it sound almost like they're going to use the same strain, but culture a population that's more powdery than the existing population)

I will admit I'm a bit turned off -- does this look like what you would expect out out of a commercial bottle from an established craft brewer? Has anyone had a similar experience? I will admit I'm a bit annoyed they didn't even offer to replace the bottle :P

Photos below.

Last edited by Geordan; 07-10-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Clarified a quote.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Uh, yeah, their response was...interesting. People really like the beer so they're now cutting corners to get it out quicker?!!? Maybe I'll be odd man out here, but what you have in your glass is unacceptable.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

microbusbrewery Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I wouldn't be buying that brand again. The brewmaster's response is a load of c*@p. There are simply too many other well made beers out there to spend money on. Bummer.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Let me ask this though, what style of beer is this and did you agitate the beer or pour too aggressively?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would steer clear of the brewery from now on based on the brewmaster's response. He told you in no uncertain terms that they're cutting corners and more interested in moving product quickly than in moving quality product. I would get back to him and say that whether he thinks it's normal or not, it does not meet your standards and ask for a refund on the product. I've never seen any commercial beer look like that (haven't ever seen a homebrew look like that either) and I can only imagine what the average consumer would think of pouring a beer that looked like that. Their first thought wouldn't be "yeast" it would be "mold" or something similar.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

If they are cutting corners with time who knows what else they are cutting corners with. Sanitation? Ingredients?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's such an inappropriate response that I don't even believe it. I think he just didn't want to be bothered. Either way, I wouldn't buy their beer again.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
y6y6y6
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No. That's not normal. That is the opposite of normal. That is a mistake.

"Our beer with blobs of gross gunk in it is so popular we're looking for ways to eliminate the gross gunk. But the gross gunk is completely normal."

No.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
SledgeH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This looks like a year old unfiltered wheat beer. I used to have to stock up on Bell's Oberon since it is seasonal. I once had a few that got lost in the beer fridge for a year. That's exactly what it looked like.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeH View Post
This looks like a year old unfiltered wheat beer. I used to have to stock up on Bell's Oberon since it is seasonal. I once had a few that got lost in the beer fridge for a year. That's exactly what it looked like.
I just had a few Bell's Oberon this past week. They definitely had sediment that got stirred up pretty easily, but nothing as bad a what the OP is showing.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Quick Reply