New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Harvesting yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Harvesting yeast question

Many here keep stating that you can only wash yeast and use it a maximum of five time or risk getting off flavors and mutated yeast but i just finished watching a documentary on the Budweiser factory and one of the master brewers stated that their yeast strand are of the original yeast . What led me to believe that they.harvest and care for their yeast for years and years... Now to my question.... Why do some here state that to only use it 5 times? Or is.it that someone who worked at a yeast distributor started the myth to ensure people kept buying ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Ben58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It is quite likely they have the dedicated staff and equipment to do the harvesting, where as we don't.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

you're talking about 2 different things.

when homebrewers wash yeast, they are re-using the same cells.

the commercial breweries use yeast banks. they "bank" the original strain, freeze it, and propagate from that. they do re-use the same batch of yeast, but after a few generations they will dump it and go back to the original source and get a refresh. it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the general idea - they go back to the source. as Ben58 mentioned, having dedicated labs techs (or a yeast management company) makes this a lot easier.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 207

+1^^^

They probably have a staff/facility/budget just for "yeast" that exceeds the ENTIRE facility/staff/budget of any microbrewery in America. . . . . .

Much less homebrewer.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So with all this said...Is it possible to care for and basically baby your yeast so that it last way longer than 5 times?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
So with all this said...Is it possible to care for and basically baby your yeast so that it last way longer than 5 times?
Yes, you can, but you probably won't know when it starts to mutate on you. I know some people on here go much farther than 5 times. I normally go 3 times (or so).

Primary #1: Samsquanch RIS
Primary #2: Nuclear Hippo
On Deck: ???
On Tap: SWMBO's Cranberry Raspberry Cider, 1880, The Gentleman, Falconer's Flight SMaSH, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH

Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat
Make a streak plate of whatever strain you want, then go back to that to start a new culture after every five or so batches. That's what I understand they do in industry for house strains.
Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

When I get a new yeast strain I make a starter that is larger than needed. I then make 4 vials from that with 5ml yeast, 5ml glycerin and 10ml water. I freeze these. If I were to make 4 more each time I used it for 4 generations I could make 256 brews from the original vial. Since I brew maybe twice a month and use many different yeasts it is doubtful that I will use any single yeast 256 times. I have 8 different strains in my yeast bank so far.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
thrstyunderwater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
When I get a new yeast strain I make a starter that is larger than needed. I then make 4 vials from that with 5ml yeast, 5ml glycerin and 10ml water. I freeze these. If I were to make 4 more each time I used it for 4 generations I could make 256 brews from the original vial. Since I brew maybe twice a month and use many different yeasts it is doubtful that I will use any single yeast 256 times. I have 8 different strains in my yeast bank so far.
Do you care to post anymore on this or can you point me to another source? I'd love to be freezing yeast but haven't ever found a source on how to properly use the glycerin.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrstyunderwater View Post

Do you care to post anymore on this or can you point me to another source? I'd love to be freezing yeast but haven't ever found a source on how to properly use the glycerin.
I'm interested as well...yeast washing..harvesting ..freezing ...all comes down to savings and i love to save money

Quick Reply