Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Harrisburg to Philly - Brewery Tour Plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
jaynik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Harrisburg to Philly - Brewery Tour Plan

Planning a trip to Philly via Harrisburg to facilitate a stop at Troegs. Looking at the map and the breweries along the way, here's the itinerary:
Troegs
Lancaster
Victory
Given that we're coming up from 2 hours south, visiting to taste is more realistic than actually going on the tours due to time constraints. Any concerns with this plan? Troegs is my favorite brewery, but I can't invest the time there for a full tour given our final destination in Philly. The plan is to visit the tasting rooms and fill some growlers, maybe buy some merch, etc. Am I neglecting any great stops in these areas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
rweird
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

stoudts in Adamstown.

Next:no clue
SteveM Likes This 
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

It's terrible since I'm a PA native, but I've never been to the Yuengling brewery in Pottstown. I'm not a huge Yuengling fan, but it is the oldest brewery in America, so that should be worth something.

Also, once you reach Philly, visit the Philly Brewing Company. Their "Rowhouse Red" is outstanding. Or go to Eulogy or Monk's Cafe and sample some great Belgians.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
edb23
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

flying fish brewery is also just over the bridge about five minutes outside the city in cherry hill new jersey

Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
DirtyJersey
Recipes 

There are several Iron Hill Breweries in the area as well. More of a restaurant than a brewery, but they make some tasty stuff. I recommend the Vienna Red and the Pig Iron Porter. Grab a burger and make it a meal.

Primary: Dirty Jersey Brown Ale
Secondary:
Bottled:
Drinking:

Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
rwmiscik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would definitely hit up triumph brewery in new hope they have some really great beers.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Start in Harrisburg and hit Troegs and Appalachian Brewing Company. They're 6 blocks from each other.

Then head east on 283. Stop in Mount Joy and visit Bube's Brewery. Keep going on 283 to Lancaster and check out Lancaster Brewing Co., Iron Hill, and the new Spring House Taproom (all in the city within about 2-3 miles of each other).

Then jump on 222 north to Adamstown and go to Stoudt's (and Union Barrelworks if you have time, they're 3 miles apart).

After Stoudt's, jump on the Turnpike east to Philly. Get off at the Downingtown exit and hit Victory. Skip Philly Brewing Co., their beers taste like underfermented extract homebrew batches. Do hit Yards if you take your tour all the way to the river.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let me know when you're coming to Troegs, if I'm not really busy (unlikely, but you never know!) I can show you around.

Bube's is ok, the ambiance of that place is almost cooler than the beer...their stuff is really hit or miss, I would save them for another trip. Stoudt's is a classic, and only about 5 minutes off the Turnpike. Victory, then once you get to Philly- Iron Hill in the surburbs (the Media location is on the way, their pale ale is delicioso), then Yards (Brawler Pale Ale, could drink 100 of them), Monk's Cafe (I can't say anything to make this place cooler than it already is), Triumph (really REALLY talented brewers, they can do anything well). That's gonna be a good trip.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

A lesser known but also very good brewpub in Philadelphia (Mt. Airy) is Earth - Bread + Brewery. Just ate dinner there last night again and had 4 awesome beers. Tom Baker, the brewer and owner (along with his wife) was mentioned in Phil Markowski's book, Farmhouse Ales. Tom brews a great Biere de Garde, he has a version on right now along with a nice Flemish style Brown. If you like those styles, check it out, you won't easily find them anywhere else.
Iron Hill in Media has a good Pilsner and Belgian IPA on right now. The Pale Ale (Ironbound) and Vienna Red Lager are great beers they always have on tap.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If this is a one Day trip, I wouldn't try to rush it. It could be one long day.

Coming from Victory to Iron Hill in West Chester is a bit easier to hit IMHO, But the media location is onthe way. Of course their is one in Wilmington DE area as well.
If your coming from Arnold you could go in reverse. Arnold to Downingtown via 95 or up 301 via the eastern shore (they way I go) is about 2-2.5 hrs. I'm familiar with the route considering live in Annapolis and the area most of my life.

Quick Reply