Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Had to Toss My First Batch Last Night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default Had to Toss My First Batch Last Night

Apparently I tried to stretch my Safale-05 yeast too far…too long.

I knew something was wrong right off the bat. I had a large batch of harvested yeast…probably 3rd or 4th generation. There was enough that I only had to pitch half the slurry in this last batch of house ale.

After I tossed it, I set the half empty jar down in the sink…planning on tossing it after my cleanup. When I got back to it about 2 hours later, there was a white, dusty film and lots of sudsing in the yeast. Smelled like rotten eggs and vinegar.

Well… what’s done is done so I decide to see it through.

One week in the keg the beer had a grainy off taste. I hoped it would mellow. Last night…two days after my last taste I drew a glass and the aroma bout knocked me over. Took a swig (against my better judgment) and thought I was gonna puke out my ears.

So…one five gallon keg gets dumped into the shop sink. The other keg upstairs in the Sanyo gets carried out to the curb and dumped. A river of rotten egg beer flowing down the curb.

On one hand…a bit sad. On the other, some relief that I could put the beer out of its misery.

Net – Don’t get stingy with your yeast. Don’t let it sit un-chilled for extended periods of time. Don’t pitch any yeast without 100% confidence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BM i have to ask. why would you save 2 dollar yeast to repitch?

Is it the challange?

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bummer man! I feel your pain.

OTH, I would never waste my time propagating a dry yeast unless I racked a fermenter to a keg and put fresh wort back on in the same day. (save me time from washing & sanitizing a fermenter).

Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC
BM i have to ask. why would you save 2 dollar yeast to repitch?

Is it the challange?
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing. WHy save the dry yeast?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Autolysis does happen. I left a cake in a a fermenter too long once. I'd planned on making a third batch on it, but a two week delay was excessive! I made an exception to the "no bleach" rule to clean that mess up.

New rule: only pitch on a cake the same day you keg the first batch.

Why 'save' dried yeast? Sometimes brewing a small beer and then pitching a big one on the cake is the way to go. It's like a 5 gallon starter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've pitched slurry that got it's start as a dry pitch. I've done it when I just don't have the dry version on hand. What's the big deal? Of course you usually harvest liquid strains because they're so expensive. I've messed around with it for practice and to pitch high cell counts. However, I make a habit of really smelling it to make sure it's clean.

I harvested some WLP001 a while back into a PET bottle. I just discovered it in the back of the fridge and the bottle was so pressurized that I couldn't sqeeze it. After carefully opening, it smelled like the ass of a dead skunk. It's obviously not fit to pitch.

I do agree that there's no pressing reason to propagate dry yeast other than an exercise in sanitation and I order half a dozen packs at a time.

I recently stretched a single US-05 pouch for one 5 gallon batch and two subsequent 10 gallon batches (25g total). The yeast was basically free.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
...I recently stretched a single US-05 pouch for one 5 gallon batch and two subsequent 10 gallon batches (25g total). The yeast was basically free...
That was the reason. Larger slurry, quicker ferment and generally it's convenient.

I just pushed the envelope this time.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

weak sauce

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF