Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The guy at the LHBS got pissed-off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Where I live there is the LHBS that's been around since 1971, and a new place that opened about a year ago. Both are about the same distance in opposite directions. When I got back into brewing last year, I read some online stories about how the older store talked down there nose to noobs. I didn't know about the new store yet, so went shopping with some trepidation. Suprisingly(?), everyone at the store was courteous if not downright helpful in getting me back into the fold.

Then I discovered the new place, smaller shop with less volume/selection but extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff. Everyone is welcomed with open arms, even if they just have questions and aren't ready to make the leap yet. They give a 10% discount to members of the two closest local homebrew clubs, and will happily order/stock anything you want if they don't have it.

No real point to my ramble I guess, just fortunate to have two good LHBSs within 20 miles....

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I love my LHBS.(brew and grow) They have 8 locations. There prices are good and they get new stock every week, the only thing i cant get from my location is white labs yeast and that's only because they don't have room in the fridge. Never once have i gotten any attitude from any of them but i also dont ask them brewing questions. I have hbt for that

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I consider myself lucky to have a great LHBS within about a mile of my house.

He always has a good stock, sells a lot so the stuff is always fresh. Very knowlegable and helpful. Just how a LHBS should be.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What is it with these shop owners? I've received a few attitudes from LHBS owners, myself. I'm pretty sure if I had a shop, I would do everything in my power to kiss the customer's ass and keep them coming back. Morebeer is opening a facility on the east coast and that means two day shipping to pretty much everywhere. No more BS from the LHBS for me.

Primary: :(
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Kegs: Mental Health Day English Bitter
Up Next: The Lawnmower
Puzzle Piece Brewery on Facebook...when I'm not too lazy to update it.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3292

I buy bulk grain and try to use the local shop more than online vendors, but when the prices are crazy high as they are I tend to place a 2-3month order from morebeer with there supersaver shipping.

After working in retail for over 10 years, if I ever got that attitude walking into a small shop like that I would laugh in his face for his ignorance and walk out.
No need to make a big stink about it, just don't give him the business, people like that make their money of the ignorant and blind. Its sad....

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1953 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1445

The owner of JW Dover (& Black Box Brewing) is a really great guy. He even took time out of his brewing schedule one time to help push my car out of it's parking space to give me a jump so I could get back home (Westlake to Sheffield). He's a bearded guy that looks a bit younger than me & smokes cigars. Hummer H3 too with chrome & such. I love how they're willing to help & will discuss problems/theories with you. The head brewer fella did just that with me when the BB trade I did came in & I had questions about cleaning vs cracking. He was very willing to discuss his version of the problem with me. Not much heat on the normal strenght PBW solution & scrub it out & rinse quickly. No soaking as with other plastic fermenters was the answer. I really dug that a pro brewer would enjoy taking the time to discuss brewing related theories with me. Cool.

People Like This 
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
BeerSlob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Finally signed up here just to reply to this...

This is the reason I get my supplies at the LHBS in Woodland Hills. I work 5 mins from the shop in Culver City and drive by their new Eagle Rock shop every Friday. The older guy who works at both (probably the owner) is a jerk plain and simple. He snatched a paper bag out of my hand at the original shop because a "one pound bag is enough for one pound of grain". The larger bags were right above the grain bins, the smaller bags were over by the grain mill. Stupid me right!

A few weeks back I reluctantly stopped into the ER shop because it was late and needed a few things. As I walked in he was on the phone cursing out someone over a delivery. As soon as I saw his face I decided I was not spending another cent at either place.

On the other hand, everyone at HWBC shop has been a pleasure and they have better prices to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patirck View Post
I have a similar issue to my "new" lhbs. I used to drive about 40 minutes across town to get stuff and then a shop opened up much closer to me. Every time I call to see if they have something in stock they seem to be doing me a favor answering my question. I called to see if they were open the friday after july 4 and the guy who answered was super sarcastic. I try to make a point of not shopping there but the distance to another alternative makes it tough.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Yellowirenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i am new to this hobby (started in January) But have always noticed the LHBS. Its in the odd part of town with the tattoo parlors, cell phone shops and record stores - yes real vinyl. About 3 years ago he moved into a shop 1/4 the size of his old one. Seemed odd to me because i figured it was a niche market.

After I started this hobby I decided to visit his shop. Its maybe a 12x20 storefront. Upon walking in i notched it was all mainly LME kits along with beginner bucket kits. They had all the scrub brushes and accessories. it was actually quite sad to see. He only had about 6 different grains and i can say many of you on here have a larger quantity than what he carried. In talking to him he seemed grumpy but we all have off days. He did allow me to order a one gallon kit but with a but interpretation. Then it took 3 weeks to get in.

I think the internet shops and the wide information out there has killed small local shops unable to keep up. Just like any business if you do not keep up with the latest in thing or keep keen to the knowledge that is available to your customer they will go else-wear. Its the knowledge of the homebrewer that I believe is perplexing many LHBS. They have had a store since the 70's and where at one time the only place to go. Now they are being left behind.

Yellow Room brewery ~ why? Because the walls are yellow.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1953 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1445

Yeah,well,you snooze you loose. Join the stampede or get stomped. That's just the way it is now.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I feel fortunate to have the lhbs here in Vancouver Wa.
Bader beer and wine supplies. I havent had to substitute anything or need to special order anything yet.

Quick Reply