Gut rot and acidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarneybrew

Reaction score
You ever ingest something that's too acidic, and the consequence is a sort of gut rot and almost a shooting pain up in to the region of your collar bone? I've experienced this once or twice from a batch of kombucha that was too acidic, mountain dew, some of those super acidic coolers, and maybe a batch of beer that I've made, lol, maybe ;)

There's no reflux problems going on for me in any of these experiences. Heartburn can often be maligned as a medical problem. I don't believe that experiencing the heartburn that I described in the original post is a medical problem. All of those beverages are very acidic and on an empty stomach would probably cause discomfort for a lot of people

Anyhow I don't know where I'm taking this. I was musing over making beers that could get too acidic. I don't know enough about the chemistry yet, but I'm guessing that it's possible to create a low mash pH and not raise it to levels more appropriate for final product consumption?

Never said it was a medical problem, but that is what I get when I eat/drink acidic stuff. Sorry.

Monty

Nothing to be sorry about :)

You stated correctly what it was. I just assume whether from heartburn of mild gastric discomfort it would be noticeable for many people.

Then again mountain dew and Smirnoff ice are consumed by a lot of people :mug:

Back