Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gusher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
tomtom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gusher

Just opened one of my Phat Tyre Ales and it's a gusher after 2 1/2 weeks in the bottle. I had it in the fridge for 24 hours and it gushed like crazy when opened. This beer was in primary for 1 week and secondary for two weeks. The FG was higher than I had expected at 1.018 and I made sure sure to gently stir in the priming sugar before racking.. Should I be concerned with the rest of the batch? I tasted it as I was bottling it and it was slightly carbonated then. I did notice that there was a ring of brown scum that floated up during the gushing in addition tho the cloudy yeast sediment that is usually on the bottom. On a side note it's very tasty. This is only my second batch so I'm not totally freaking out yet.

Primary:TT's Thrill Hill Pale Ale
Bottled: TT'sTHPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

For some reason, it looks like the fermentation stalled. 1.018 FG sounds too high. I'm guessing all/most of your bottles will be gushers. In fact, I'd keep them all in some kind of tupperware container in case you have one explode. That'll keep from making a mess wherever you store them if you do have one blow up. They'll all be fine to drink, though. Just a little over-carbed.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
For some reason, it looks like the fermentation stalled. 1.018 FG sounds too high. I'm guessing all/most of your bottles will be gushers. In fact, I'd keep them all in some kind of tupperware container in case you have one explode. That'll keep from making a mess wherever you store them if you do have one blow up. They'll all be fine to drink, though. Just a little over-carbed.
+1 .

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Brewmando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tastybrew.com has a priming calculator that works well. According to it an Amber APA 5 gal batch bottled at 70* Fehrenhiet should need 4.5 oz of priming sugar (dextrose or corn). I can only guess that you used a 5 oz package of priming sugar that came with a kit or pre-packaged? That's ok though as it's what most do until they learn that differing conditions and styles call for different amounts of primer. Personally I would have left it in primary another week before racking to secondary, but that's just me. The beer should be fine. Just keep it cool and in something incase of explosions like Lil Sparky advised.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
tomtom
Recipes 

Update on the gusher. Seems that the one gusher is the only one so far. I've opened three since the gusher and they have all been carbonated perfectly. As for the Phat Tyre Ale, it's OK but I wouldn't brew it again. I liked the Nut Brown Ale that was my first brew much better.

Primary:TT's Thrill Hill Pale Ale
Bottled: TT'sTHPA

Quick Reply