The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout coming to the USA different than other versions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
twd000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default is the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout coming to the USA different than other versions?

I last had (several) FES in the Caribbean about 10 years ago. Since they recently starting exporting to the US, I picked up a six pack at BevMo. While I still enjoy it greatly, I recall it having a pleasantly sour finish that is lacking in the current beers.

I remember reading that Guinness used to export some sort of un-fermented, hopped wort to regional breweries in Africa and the Caribbean where they would complete the brewing process. Is it possible that wort had a lactobaccilus infection that gave the stout some sour notes? Is this something I could reproduce using the "sour mash" technique in the current Zymurgy issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply