New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "Guilty" confessions of a beer enthusiast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #161
pyth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I will state, that true IPA or not, Keiths does have an absolutely epic label imo. And the brewery does brew a few other things that are very good. Keiths Tartan ale, which they made available for a few months last year was a very enjoyable Scottish ale. Their Stags Head Stout, while failing to meet all the qualities of true stout, I also found to be quite enjoyable.

I didn't give much grief about the stout either, as while they called it a stout, the marketing tagline was "Stout need not be heavy" and it was an example of a lighter bodied stout. While different, I found it enjoyable.

To give some folks an idea of how prevailant Keiths is here in Halifax; the brewmaster Alexander Keith, was actually mayor of Halifax way back when. And to this day we celebrate his birthday with a massive street party downtown every year. Live bands, tents set up serving Keiths, and all sorts of other beer, great party.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #162
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So Belgians are out for you too? As are cream ales, chilli pepper stouts, anything with chocolate? Fruit beers?
Not all Belgian styles contain adjuncts, Pale Ale for example doesn't traditionally. No cream ales, chilli pepper stouts (even sounds gross), nothing with chocolate adjunct, but chocolate malt is fine. No fruit beer either.

Malt, hops, water, yeast. Someone else can drink adjunct beer, leave that stuff out of mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #163
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Oh man, I love beers with a little heat in them. Just had an awesome, slightly soured RIS that my friend added two shots of pepper juice to. It was fantastic!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #164
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
Not all Belgian styles contain adjuncts, Pale Ale for example doesn't traditionally. No cream ales, chilli pepper stouts (even sounds gross), nothing with chocolate adjunct, but chocolate malt is fine. No fruit beer either.

Malt, hops, water, yeast. Someone else can drink adjunct beer, leave that stuff out of mine.
what about lambics?

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #165
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Vertical epic 2011 was terrible for me. Those chiles made me wanna vomit. I like beers with chocolate, vanilla, stuff like that. I don't like coffee beers or chile beers though. Or at least haven't had one I like yet.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #166
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
what about lambics?
Lambics use fruit which is an adjunct, so no. I will not drink them.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #167
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
what about lambics?
I know, I was wondering about all sorts of beers when I read that....Belgian beers use sugar. Chilli beers use chilies. Chocolate stouts use chocolate. Cream ales use corn. Seems to really limit one's beer choices I think.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #168
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Might be an STL thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
I'm a snob. I don't care who knows it.
I hadn't been regularly drinking beer for years before I discovered all the new craft beers - if BMC were the only beer, I'd stick with water. I used to drink it all the time (I came up on 9:05 beer, which was repackaged Heilemanns Old Style), but I recognized the difference when I got to Germany and drank my first Altbier. When the Blues finally win the Cup, I sure as hizzel won't be hoisting a Budweiser - but thanks for all the hops, In-Bev!
Allow me to concur with your repeatedly stated wishes concerning National Hockey results, sir: GO BLUES!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #169
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
Lambics use fruit which is an adjunct, so no. I will not drink them.
Goes to show, ain't no accounting for taste - I haven't found a beer made with wheat I could drink more than one of. I'm still trying though - I had an all Saphir hopped imported weiss beer just last night. Another no-go, unfortunately.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #170
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyth View Post
I will state, that true IPA or not, Keiths does have an absolutely epic label imo. And the brewery does brew a few other things that are very good. Keiths Tartan ale, which they made available for a few months last year was a very enjoyable Scottish ale. Their Stags Head Stout, while failing to meet all the qualities of true stout, I also found to be quite enjoyable.

I didn't give much grief about the stout either, as while they called it a stout, the marketing tagline was "Stout need not be heavy" and it was an example of a lighter bodied stout. While different, I found it enjoyable.

To give some folks an idea of how prevailant Keiths is here in Halifax; the brewmaster Alexander Keith, was actually mayor of Halifax way back when. And to this day we celebrate his birthday with a massive street party downtown every year. Live bands, tents set up serving Keiths, and all sorts of other beer, great party.
As far as I'm concerned, Nova Scotia has nothing to apologize for: beer schmeer - you guys produced Al MacInnis, the most underrated NHL defenseman ever. Big Al was one heck of a lot more than a big shot. He made perfect defensive play look so easy, you didn't even notice it. If I ever see any of this fake IPA, I'll try a six.

Quick Reply